As I was pondering what the next topic for this series on my blog should be, I found myself going through the Articles of Faith in my mind. There are 13 of them and 12 of those start with the words, "We Believe".
There was my answer.
Just a quick recap of what the Articles of Faith are and how they came to be.
In 1842, a man named George Barstow was compiling a history of the state of New Hampshire. He wanted to include a chapter about the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints who were living in that state. He did not know much about the church, so he contacted his friend, George Wentworth, who was the editor of a newspaper in Chicago. At that time, the Latter-Day Saints were living in Nauvoo, Illinois.
Mr. Wentworth went to Joseph Smith, the church's leader at that time, and asked him about the history and beliefs of the church. The Prophet Joseph Smith answered him with a letter. In it, he told about the First Vision, and how he received and translated the gold plates. He also described the organization of the church and the persecution and history of the Saints. It was in the last part of this letter that he listed some of the basic beliefs of the Church. This list became known as the Articles of Faith.
(info from lds.org)
(info from lds.org)
So, let us start from the beginning, shall we?
![]() |
| image credit...www.itsalwaysautumn.com |
It is no coincidence that this is the very first belief that is stated.
It is the very foundation of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
We believe that the Godhead consists of three separate and distinct beings.
God, the Father-
His son, Jesus Christ-
and the Holy Ghost
I believe this with all my heart and there are multiple scriptural references that testify of this as well.
As I studied this belief, I counted over 160 references in the scriptures that testify that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. It would seem to me that with that many references, it must be a pretty important thing for us to come to know.
I want to share a little bit about the third member of the Godhead- the Holy Ghost. He is known by many names: the Comforter, the Spirit of God, and my favorite-
the Source of Testimony.
It is through the Holy Ghost that truth is revealed.
In 1 Nephi 10:17 we read,
"...I, Nephi, was desirous also that I might see, and hear, and know of these things, by the power of the Holy Ghost,
which is the gift of God unto all those who diligently seek him,
as well in times of old as in the time that he should manifest himself unto the children of men."
I love that. The Holy Ghost can testify the truth to all those who diligently seek him.
If you truly want to know if God exists,
and that Jesus Christ is His only begotten son,
I invite you to humbly and diligently seek for that answer.
Get down on your knees and ask Him.
It may not be the first time, it may not be the second time. You may have to ask 100 times, but the key word here is diligent. You must not give up. I promise you that if you diligently seek for the truth, it will be revealed to you.
He will send the Holy Ghost to reveal the truth to your heart and you will be filled with a power of love unlike anything you have experienced before.
Go ahead...I dare you. :)

It is the very foundation of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
We believe that the Godhead consists of three separate and distinct beings.
God, the Father-
His son, Jesus Christ-
and the Holy Ghost
I believe this with all my heart and there are multiple scriptural references that testify of this as well.
As I studied this belief, I counted over 160 references in the scriptures that testify that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. It would seem to me that with that many references, it must be a pretty important thing for us to come to know.
I want to share a little bit about the third member of the Godhead- the Holy Ghost. He is known by many names: the Comforter, the Spirit of God, and my favorite-
the Source of Testimony.
It is through the Holy Ghost that truth is revealed.
In 1 Nephi 10:17 we read,
"...I, Nephi, was desirous also that I might see, and hear, and know of these things, by the power of the Holy Ghost,
which is the gift of God unto all those who diligently seek him,
as well in times of old as in the time that he should manifest himself unto the children of men."
I love that. The Holy Ghost can testify the truth to all those who diligently seek him.
If you truly want to know if God exists,
and that Jesus Christ is His only begotten son,
I invite you to humbly and diligently seek for that answer.
Get down on your knees and ask Him.
It may not be the first time, it may not be the second time. You may have to ask 100 times, but the key word here is diligent. You must not give up. I promise you that if you diligently seek for the truth, it will be revealed to you.
He will send the Holy Ghost to reveal the truth to your heart and you will be filled with a power of love unlike anything you have experienced before.
Go ahead...I dare you. :)


No comments:
Post a Comment