Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tuesday Traditions 10

For this tradition, I need to back up about 16 or 17 years.
When Mark was 19, he left for 2 years to serve a mission for our church.
He went to the Taiwan Taichung Mission and learned to speak Mandarin.
He has many fond memories of his mission- he often calls it "the best 6 years of his life."  ;)
(One of the cutest missionaries I have ever seen.  :)

While he was on his mission, he had the opportunity to see some Chinese New Year celebrations.  A couple of years ago, we decided that we would like to have a Chinese New Year celebration as a family.  We didn't have it last year because I had just finished chemo and was not feeling up for the celebration.
So we were excited to bring it back this year.
The kids love to help cook, especially Josh.  He helped us make pot stickers and fried rice.  We also made one of my favorite Chinese treats, "Open Mouth Laughs".  I could not tell you how to say it in Chinese.  They are basically sesame seed covered donut holes.  Super yummy.

After a great dinner, we read a story about Chinese New Year and had a surprise invite to watch some fireworks in our circle with our neighbors.  It was the perfect way to end our New Year celebrations.  Thank you Allen family!

No comments:

Post a Comment