Saturday, October 27, 2012

My Favorite Weekend of the Year

I can't believe it's already been about a year since I wrote this post.
I love, love, love my Time Out for Women (TOFW) weekends.  I look forward to them every year because I always come away inspired.  This year was no exception.
The theme for this year was "Seek the Good"
That could really be the theme for the last year and a half of my life.
I have really tried to seek the good as I have faced this life-changing battle of cancer.
Some days the good was very hard to find, but most days it was right in front of me.
I had the pleasure of attending with 2 wonderful women that I love so much... my mother-in-law and sis-in-law.  We were just 3 among thousands of women who were there to feel connected, to be lifted up and to share in the sweet spirit that is always there.

Some things I discovered or rediscovered...
From Virginia H. Pierce- "The temple can give us strength to forgive and be forgiven."
From the magnificent Sheri Dew- She spoke to us about what it means to be a Latter-Day Daughter of God. 
"We know who's church we belong to and we know what it means.  Jesus Christ is at the head of our church and He is the greatest champion of women.  We know that women are vital to the church.  We know that women are eligible for the Lord's highest blessing."  
(This, of course, is just a small sample of the great thoughts that she shared with us.  I simply have just one word... A-MA-ZING.)

From Chris Williams-  Incredible example of forgiveness. "What burden can you lay at the Lord's feet today and allow Him to help you Let It Go?"
From the awesome Brad Wilcox- "Our Savior's goal is not just to get us to heaven, but to make us heavenly... God loves us just the way we are, but He also loves us enough to not leave us this way."
And last, but certainly not least, John Bytheway- "Regardless of your original intention, you will become what you are surrounding yourself with so surround yourself with greatness."
Now, I would love to say that I came home from this beautiful, inspiring conference to a house cleaned from top to bottom and the children playing so nicely together and doing some wholesome activity...you know the things that always seem so wonderful in your mind.
It was close to that...
Okay, so it wasn't.  But that's ok.  Fortunately everything on the list that I had left got done. ;)
I guess I forgot to leave my pair of "Mommy Glasses".  You know what those are, right?
Those are the magical glasses that can look around and see things that need to be taken care of  like
a sink full of dirty dishes
a counter full of clutter
breakfast still on the table (or maybe that was lunch)
clothes and shoes in the middle of the living room floor
(I spared you a picture of the basement...but to be fair that was a disaster BEFORE I left.)
Yep...they definitely need the "Mommy Glasses".
Now, to be fair to my sweet and amazing husband and kiddos, here is a list of the things that were accomplished...
lawn edged and neatly trimmed
bathrooms (mostly) cleaned
kids fed (I think) 
no one bleeding or having an injury of any kind
chicken coop cleaned
floors (mostly) vacuumed
Mark conducted a baptism this afternoon
Cello, piano, and flute practiced
Good jobs guys!  I will take it and we will leave the dishes for tomorrow because I...am...tired. :)

1 comment:

  1. It was fun watching it on TV, was able to watch pretty much all of it. Brad Wilcox and the Last speaker I think her name is Emily Freeman were both a repeat of the one in Vegas but it was good to listen to them again and refresh my memory. I loved Emilys on the middle moments of our life, with her five steps, loved it in vegas and again when watching and then I had dad listen to it.
    I am glad you had a good time. LOVE TOFW!!

    ReplyDelete