Sunday, May 13, 2012

Race for the Cure 2012

I have to go back a year as I begin writing this post.  My aunt Cheri had just been diagnosed with cancer and had started chemo.  After visiting her at the Huntsman center with my Aunt Susie, I decided that I was going to sign up for Race for the Cure.  Let me just get one thing straight.  I am not a runner.  I do not enjoy running.  I really don't even enjoy jogging that much.  Never have and probably never will.  And even though Cheri did not have breast cancer, cancer is still cancer and it sucks so I felt that if I participated in this race, I could help fight it in some small way.
It was a beautiful day.  I walk/jogged with my Aunt Susie and finished the whole 5K.  It was a very emotional experience and I was surprised at the scope of emotions I felt while participating in this race.  I distinctly remember looking around me before the race started and thinking that it was amazing how many lives cancer has touched.  All of the thousands of people that were there knew and loved someone who has had cancer.  

Little did I know that in just a few short months, I would be counted among those who have heard those words, "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer."
This year, I also participated in the Race for the Cure, but it held a whole new meaning for me.
I walked it as a survivor and my life has been forever changed...
Photobucket

I just have to, once again, say THANK YOU to the many amazing family members and friends who continue to support me on this journey.  It was another beautiful day and I was surrounded by people that I love.  It was incredible.
Photobucket

One of the highlights of the entire day was being able to participate in the "Survivor's Parade".  I was able to be there with some friends that I have met recently and my beautiful and amazing mother-in-law who is a 16 year breast cancer survivor.  It was a very emotional experience.  I was glad that I was wearing my sunglasses.  ;)  Lots of tears were shed and feelings of gratitude overwhelmed me as I hugged my mom, my mom-in-law, my girlies, my hubby and son, and my other family and friends. 
Photobucket

I have to admit that in the days leading up to the race, I kept wishing that I had not actually signed up to do it.  These recent and unexpected surgeries have really thrown my body for a loop.  I am more tired than ever and still feeling the lingering affects of the anesthesia.  I just kept wishing for Saturday to be here and over with.  But when I woke up Saturday morning, my feelings of regret were replaced with feelings of excitement as we prepared to leave.  I had a flood of memories from last year's race and knew that it was going to be an amazing day.  As we headed to the starting line, I had a rush of emotions.  At the beginning of this journey I said I would beat this cancer.  I said that I would be at this race, running as a survivor.  Well, there was no running involved and I didn't do the entire distance, but I was there and I was cancer free and it felt wonderful. 

3 comments:

  1. I was feeling some heavy emotions as well, and I too was very happy I had my sunglasses on. As I watched you walk in, one of the first in the group, I was so filled with gratitude to my Heavenly Father that you were there walking as a survivor. I know you have had some set backs, and I hate that for you, but on the other hand I am so grateful that you are still here to have those set backs. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of you and Karen. Both of you are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. I was so sad I couldn't do it this year. My best friends little sister is also a survivor, and last year found out she had it just a few months before the race so we all did it for her then. I was sick this year though. I was there in thoughts and prayers for you and others who are dealing with this. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete