Just wanted to post a couple of lovely pictures from yesterday's surgery and give you a little update.
(I think I really rocked the whole hospital gown, slippers and glasses look. What do you think?)
(P.S. Those things on my legs are compression sleeves to prevent blood clots during the surgery.)
(I think I really rocked the whole hospital gown, slippers and glasses look. What do you think?)
(P.S. Those things on my legs are compression sleeves to prevent blood clots during the surgery.)
We got to the hospital about 8 am and checked in. They sent me to radiology so they could inject an isotope into the tumor for the sentinel lymph node biopsy. This procedure was actually pretty cool. So this isotope travels from the tumor to the lymph nodes. Once I was in surgery, the doctor was able to sweep this little metal detector thing over my lymph nodes and wherever it beeped the loudest, was the sentinel lymph node, or the node where the cancer would travel first. That way they can just take out that node and a few surrounding it through a small incision instead of taking huge clusters out of a much larger incision.
I told Mark that I was glad that Magneto was not around (those of you who are X-Men fans will get this.)
After the isotope injection, we went over to the outpatient surgery place to wait, wait, and wait some more. But I am a pro at this waiting game now. ;)
I was supposed to have surgery at 11, but they finally got me into the operating room at 1. The doctor said that the surgery went well. Now we just have to wait for the pathology reports to come back to see what stage this cancer is at, if it is in the lymph nodes, if I will have to have further surgery and it will give the oncologist the information he needs to determine my followup treatments.
But for now I get to relax in my bed and get waited on hand and foot. :)
As long as I keep on top of my pain meds and keep a cold ice pack around, I am not in too much pain.
Stage 1 almost complete.
Score:
Desirae- 6 Cancer- 2
I told Mark that I was glad that Magneto was not around (those of you who are X-Men fans will get this.)
After the isotope injection, we went over to the outpatient surgery place to wait, wait, and wait some more. But I am a pro at this waiting game now. ;)
I was supposed to have surgery at 11, but they finally got me into the operating room at 1. The doctor said that the surgery went well. Now we just have to wait for the pathology reports to come back to see what stage this cancer is at, if it is in the lymph nodes, if I will have to have further surgery and it will give the oncologist the information he needs to determine my followup treatments.
But for now I get to relax in my bed and get waited on hand and foot. :)
As long as I keep on top of my pain meds and keep a cold ice pack around, I am not in too much pain.
Stage 1 almost complete.
Score:
Desirae- 6 Cancer- 2
So glad everything is going well! The girls look adorable in their dance stuff, BTW :)
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear you are doing well.
ReplyDeleteYour are sporting that outfit well. Love ya
ReplyDelete