Monday, March 7, 2016

Almost Birthday Twins

My little Abbie Kadabbie and I are almost birthday twins.

I remember being pregnant with her and thinking, "Wouldn't it be cool if she was born on March 28th?"  Josh was born on June 28th and Emma was born on April 28th, so I thought it would be fun to keep the 28th trend continuing.

She didn't come on the 28th.

It was a Leap Year that year so I thought, "Wouldn't it be fun to have a Leap Year baby?"  That's a cool birthday, right?

She didn't come on Leap Day.

"Okay," I thought, "maybe she can come on my birthday!"  What a great birthday present!

She didn't come on my birthday (March 2.)

No.  My little Abbie Kadabbie wanted her very own special day, and that is what she got.  Her very own birthday on March 4th.  

And now, here we are, 12 years later.

Twelve years later?!?!?!?!?

How do these things keep happening?
My kids keep growing up, which makes me both happy and sad.
Mostly happy because with each passing year, they get better and better.
I have pretty amazing kids.

Abbie started out her birthday by opening up her present.
Her very own American Girl doll!  She was super excited.  She has been waiting and waiting for this day.

After a little schoolwork, we went to lunch with Grandma Great.
Abbie's choice, Rumbi.  It was delicious.

After lunch, it was time to buckle down and get some decorating done.  This was Abbie's year to have a big party (we only do big parties every 4 years) and she had been planning it for months.  She decided to have a Disney themed party and to invite all of her guests to come dressed as a Disney character.  She also wanted lots of balloons, streamers, Jimmy John sandwiches, and Cake Pops.
I think we nailed it.

During the party, the girls played Charades, Capture the Princess, and then watched Beauty and the Beast (Abbie's favorite Disney movie.)  It was a super fun night and it was fun to see all of the girls' costumes.  Abbie has some pretty great friends...and sisters. :)

A few things about my 12 year old Abbie-girl...

*She loves to pretend.  She kind of fights growing up at times because she doesn't ever want to have to stop pretending.  I told her that she doesn't ever have to stop pretending completely.  Her imagination can continue to grow and her pretending will take on different forms throughout her life.  Plus, it will make her a super fun mom. :)

*She is getting really good at the violin.  She is currently preparing for the Federation competition and is doing very well on her pieces.

*She is in the 6th grade and is doing well with her school work.  She is excited to start at the Junior High next year though.  Two years of doing school at home is enough for her. :)

*She LOVES smoothies and that is a big understatement.  She wants to own her own smoothie store someday.

*She loves to organize things...when she is in the right mood.

*She is excited to start the Young Women's program in our church.  This past Sunday was her first day and she loved it.

Well, now that I have told you all about Abbie's birthday, I should probably tell you about my birthday!  It was a very great birthday, even though the Love of my Life was out of town. :(  He made up for that by having a beautiful flower arrangement sent to me.  What a nice guy.  Love him so much.
My day was filled with special surprises, hugs, birthday wishes, a trip to the temple, cheesecake, pasta, and chocolate.  I seriously could not have asked for a better birthday.  I felt loved and spoiled all day long.  It was a wonderful day and I am so thankful to have celebrated another year here on the earth.  Thank you to my Heavenly Father for granting me this great blessing.



No comments:

Post a Comment