We had a very eventful Spring Break this year. I already mentioned a couple of fun things that we did in the previous post (the girls' play and our Camp Kesem Reunion). We also spent some time at a park that has a really cool creek running through it. Bailey was in heaven. While the girls and I were here having fun at home, the boys were in Washington D.C. I haven't gone through the hundreds of pictures that they took yet, so that post will have to wait for another day. They had a really great time though and it has been fun to hear them talk about the adventures they had there.
So really, this post should be "Spring Break Part 2", since technically, it is the 2nd part of our Spring Break. Oh well, backwards is good sometimes.
The second half of our Spring Break was spent in lovely Southern Utah. We rented a house in Kanab which is where Mark's mom grew up. His dad's family moved there while he was in the Navy, so when he got home, he spent a little time there as well. We took Mark's parents with us for this trip and Mark's brother, Dan, and his family joined us as well. It was a lot of fun and the weekend was absolutely beautiful (although a little on the chilly side for Southern Utah.)
We stopped at Bryce Canyon National Park on our way to Kanab. It was super crowded and it took us a little while to find a parking spot. We finally found a couple of spots and had a bite to eat for lunch. Then we went for a little hike to the bottom of the canyon and back up again. It was a little longer than we originally planned on but so worth it. Absolutely stunning views.
Of course, Emma had to do her signature pose and was really happy that her cousin, Chloe, wanted a piece of the action as well. I probably should not have done the hike with a broken toe, but you only live once, right? It was on the mend (I had broken it at the very beginning of spring break), but it was a little sore on the downhill parts. By the time we got back up to the top, it was numb from the cold, so it's all good. :)
I have always loved Bryce Canyon. I just stand there in awe at this incredible world we live in. God is definitely so good to give us these beautiful places to enjoy. It was such a beautiful hike that even my two non-hikers (Abbie and Ellie) had a good time. They were definitely tired by the end, but they were really good sports. Ellie even had her little camera with her so she could take pictures of all the rocks. (She is learning about rocks in science.) So...bonus! We could count this as school time. :)
That night, Grandpa treated us all to dinner. Thanks, Grandpa! You're the best! The next day we headed to the Coral Pink Sand Dunes. Everyone was super excited to play in the sand, until they put their bare feet into it. Brr!! Forty degrees outside= some pretty cold sand. Once we made it up over the first embankment, the sand warmed up a little bit where the sun had been shining on it. It would have been perfect if there hadn't been a biting cold north wind blowing. That didn't stop the kids from having some fun, plus it gave me some really awesome photo opportunities.
After about 40 minutes, everyone was frozen so we decided to head back to Kanab and have some lunch. We stopped at a pretty little park/monument area where some of Mark's relatives are recognized. After lunch, we went to the Kanab City Park to see the marker that the town has put in for Mark's grandpa. He was a very active part of the community and was instrumental in the building of that park. It has changed a bit over the years, but the plaque and the memory of all he did still remains.
Here's Emma again. I told you it was literally everywhere we go.
It was fun to be with Grandma and Grandpa Ogden and hear them tell stories of when they were younger. We got to see some of their old stomping grounds and I am really glad that this trip worked out. It's good to go back to your roots.
Since Kanab is relatively close to St. George, our family split the time a little bit because we had some fun events that were happening with my family in St. George. Josh, Mark, and Emma stayed in Kanab and went hiking there and at Zion's National Park. I really wanted to be in two places at once because I love Zion's. They went on the Emerald Pools hike...along with what seemed like the rest of the state of Utah. It was super crowded. I guess that is what you get with Spring Break and Easter weekend rolled up into one.
Abbie, Ellie, and I went to St. George so we could celebrate Mr. Copelin's 1st birthday. I can't believe this cute little stink is one. I love his face so much. He just makes me happy.
The girls and I also got to see my brother, Dan, in a performance of Robin Hood. He played the part of Robin Hood and it was the first time I have been able to see him act in person. I am so happy that I got to see (and hear) him. It was a musical and he did such a great job! I have heard him sing Karaoke (which he takes very seriously mind you), but this was the first time I had the pleasure of listening to him really sing. I was quite impressed. Good job little bro. You are awesome.
Our last morning in Kanab was Easter morning. Somehow the Easter Bunny knew we were there and left us a few little goodies.
It was so much fun to be with this group of people. We had a lot of laughs, got in a lot of fabulous hiking, and just had a great time in general. We missed the rest of Mark's family, and we can't wait until July when we will all get to be together at Reunion. :)













No comments:
Post a Comment