Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The Wolverine and the Rae Rae, Together Again

Last week I spend a very relaxing few days kicking it back with my friend, Heather, AKA Wolverine.  We met on my First Descents kayaking adventure last summer.
She is my long lost sister.
After spending only a week together in Jackson, and then a few short days in Vegas when we did the Tough Mudder, I felt like we needed more time to just hang out.
So I hopped on a plane and flew to New Hampshire last week.

 As I was sitting in the airport, I realized that this was the first time I would be flying by myself...ever.  When I went to Europe as a new high school graduate, I was with a teacher and classmates.  When I have gone on other vacations, I have been with Mark or one or two of my kiddos.  This was the first time that I was braving it alone and I have to admit, it was a little scary!
Did I mention that I really don't like to fly?  I love to travel, I just hate the flying part of it.
I arrived in Boston on Monday evening and Heather picked me up from the airport.  We drove to Portsmouth, NH, where she lives.  It'a about an hour from Boston.  It was so fun to catch up with her!  I have been planning this trip for months and I have been so excited for it.  I can't believe that it's already done and over with!  It went by so fast.  
Tuesday morning we got up and went hiking at Mt. Major.  
Breathtaking views.  The weather was gorgeous as well.

Heather had to work on Wednesday, so I walked to the downtown area of Portsmouth and played the role of the tourist.  I loved this little downtown area.  Lots of fun shops and cool houses.  That afternoon, I just vegged in front of the TV and it was glorious for about an hour.  I quickly discovered why I don't watch a lot of TV.  There is nothing worth watching on in the middle of the afternoon.
I have been working on typing up my great grandmother's history.  She wrote it in a little journal and I brought that with me so I could work on it.  I turned the TV off and started typing away when low and behold I made the coolest discovery!  
Here's what it said, 
"In the fall of 1968, we went to the New England states on a tour...we continued to Portsmouth, NH where we saw the charming old eighteenth century homes of the Merchant princes of yesterday."
I couldn't believe what I just read!  Forty-six years ago, my great grandmother went to the very same places that I had just walked earlier that day.  We saw the same cool, old houses and walked on the same pathways.  I still get chills when as I write about it.  It was a very neat moment for me and it just confirmed in my mind how important it is to document our lives.  We never know what might happen with the things we write in the lives of our posterity.  Maybe someday my great granddaughter will walk the same paths.

Thursday was a little rainy so we decided to drive into Maine and get some potato donuts.  
Oh...my...goodness.  
Seriously some of the best things I have ever put in my mouth.  I bought three and ate them all myself (not all in one sitting of course, although I really wanted to.) Then we went to roam around the L.L. Bean compound.  There are three huge L.L. Bean stores.  Lots of walking and lots of very cool things that I could not afford, but it was still fun to look.
By the time we made it back to Heather's, the rain was coming down so we decided it was a good time to pull out our puzzle.
This is a tradition that was started in Jackson, continued in Vegas, and will definitely continue whenever we are together.  


We watched a lot of women's volleyball as well.  It was sweet.

On Friday we drove into Maine again and walked along the coastline.  I have always wanted to go to this part of the country but never thought I would actually make it.  It is so beautiful.  More than once I caught myself silently thanking God for all of this beauty that I was surrounded by.  This world is a pretty incredible place and I feel very lucky to have seen so much of it.
Thank you my dear wonderful, beautiful, and amazing friend!
I had a great week and I am so happy that we had this time together to get to know each other better.  I feel like our friendship has deepened and I am so thankful to have you in my life.
I can't wait for you to hold your sweet little baby in your arms for the first time (she is due in March :)  You are going to be an amazing mama.
Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment