Monday, August 11, 2014

He Made It Look So Easy/ I Believe 20

**Caution...another lengthy post ahead.  You should know this about me by now.  When I start talking about things I believe...watch out. :)

I came across a quote the other day that has left me pondering some things.

"The cultivation of Christlike qualities is a demanding and relentless task- it is not for the seasonal worker or for those who will not stretch themselves, again and again."
-Spencer W. Kimball 
12th president and prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
(from the Ensign November 1978)

The conclusion that I have come to is something that I already knew.
Being a disciple of Christ is hard work.
It is not for the feint of heart and requires a lot of dedication, patience, and discipline.

So what exactly are we talking about here?
What qualities did Christ exhibit that we should be trying to emulate?

I found a great answer in a talk given by Elder Robert D. Hales, a living apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ.

"Christian Love.  The Savior valued everyone.  Kind and compassionate to all...

Christian Faith.  Despite temptations, trials, and persecutions, the Savior trusted our Heavenly Father and chose to be faithful and obedient to His commandments.

Christian Sacrifice.  Throughout His life the Savior gave of His time, His energy, and ultimately, through the Atonement, gave Himself so that all of God's children could be resurrected and have the opportunity to inherit eternal life.

Christian Caring.  Like the good Samaritan, the Savior was continually reaching out to rescue, love, and nurture people around Him, regardless of their culture, creed, or circumstances.

Christian Service.  Whether drawing water from a well, cooking a meal of fish, or washing dusty feet, the Savior spent His days serving others-- lifting up the weary and strengthening the weak.

Christian Patience.  In His own sorrow and suffering, the Savior waited upon His Father.  With patience for us, He waits upon us to come to ourselves and come home to Him.

Christian Peace.  Throughout His ministry He urged understanding and promoted peace....

Christian Forgiveness.  He taught us to bless those who curse us.  He showed us the way by praying that those who crucified Him would be forgiven.

Christian Conversion.  Like Peter and Andrew, many recognize the truth of the gospel as soon as they hear it.  They are instantly converted.  For others it may take longer.....

Christian Endurance to the end.  In all His days, the Savior never gave up doing His Father's will but continued in righteousness, goodness, mercy, and truth to the end of His mortal life."

So all He asks is that we be like Him, but He made it look so easy!
How do we as imperfect mortals exhibit these same qualities in our lives?

Well, we just have to take things one moment at a time, line upon line, precept upon precept.  We remind ourselves that although we are asked to strive for perfection in this life, we will not reach that perfect state here.

We have to use the qualities of patience and forgiveness first and foremost with ourselves.

But...doesn't Christ love us no matter who we are or what we do?  Didn't Jesus say to love everyone?
Why should we need to try to be better or change bad behaviors if He loves us the way that we are?

This is where I feel there is some confusion.
Yes, Christ does love us and He always will.
He does not, however, love it when we break the commandments.
In John Chapter 8, we find the story of the woman who was taken in adultery.  The scribes and Pharisees wanted to stone her for her acts.  They asked Christ what He thought should happen.  I think everyone knows what His response was,
"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."
If you read further in the story, you will find another powerful one line request from our Savior.
Verse 11...."Go, and sin no more."
The perfect example of loving the person, but not condoning the behavior that is not in accordance with His commandments.

He does love us and accept us, but He has always asked us to change and be better.  To overcome our weaknesses through His atoning sacrifice.

Yes, being a disciple of Christ can be hard work.
The closer we draw unto Christ, the further we stray from the world and sometimes that puts us in situations where we may be mocked or ridiculed.
But that is perfectly okay.
It's okay to stand out and be different.
To be in the world, but not of the world.
John 15:19
"If ye were of the world, the world would love his own:  but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you."

If Christ walked the earth today, teaching the things that He taught, He would be mocked, ridiculed, spit upon, and hated.  He would be an outcast.

The things that He has asked us to do are hard, but....
WE CAN DO HARD THINGS!!!!!
We are amazing sons and daughters of a loving Father in Heaven, and we can choose to follow Christ.
We can emulate His qualities and be a force for good in this world full of wickedness.

I end with one of my favorite scriptures ever.
John 14:27
"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you:  not as the world giveth, give I unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

Yes, He made it look so easy.
But He also made it easy for us to do these things because He offered Himself as a sacrifice.
If we can humble ourselves, and turn our hearts to Him--choosing to do the things that He has asked--we can and will be like Him.

3 comments:

  1. This is exactly why I think we should focus on the things that Christ actually, explicitly said in the scriptures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it has nothing to do with being accepted by "the world." For me, it has to do with following my conscience and following the answers to prayer that I have received (even though those answers are not considered valid by the part of the world I currently inhabit).

    ReplyDelete