This really is my Thankful Thursday post for tomorrow, but I wanted to say what I gotta say now.
I have three wonderful people in my life who are all struggling with this horrid disease we call cancer. The big "C" word that I hate so much.
I hate that it sneaks into people's lives and turns them upside down.
I hate that it makes people have excruciating pain.
There are two things that I do love about cancer though.
1.) It has brought some amazingly wonderful people into my life.
2.) It gave me experiences and a different perspective on life. Both of which I am hugely grateful for because it has made me a better person.
I named this post "Just One Little Light" because these three people are such a light in my world, in the whole world for that matter. They are warriors and they inspire me every day.
Carol
Not a super great picture of either of us, but when all you've got is a phone camera...it will have to do.
My friend Carol is currently battling Stage 4 Colon Cancer.
It's not pretty and she doesn't like doing it.
But she is doing it because she has a husband and two little boys who are her whole world.
That's why we momma's fight so hard. It's all for the littles.
Carol often calls me her hero- a term which I am very uncomfortable with. I definitely do not feel worthy of such a title, but if watching me go through my journey helps her along hers? Then it was worth every pain, every set-back, every joy, every heartbreak.
That's why I chronicled my journey. So that I could help others in similar situations.
Carol is now my hero.
One of her littles has been very sick this week. I'm talking VERY sick. Like in the Children's Hospital for the whole week or more sick. She is still going through chemo. She is still fighting her own battle. But she has been at little Kian's beside with no thought for her own well being. He is slowly getting better and hopefully will be well enough to go home soon.
My thoughts and prayers are with this sweet family. They are on a very bumpy road with lots and lots of potholes. But Carol's attitude is amazing and when we chat (via text messaging usually), she always gives a little detail about herself and then asks me how I am feeling.
Love you Carol. Hoping that you and Kian can feel better soon.
(Carol has a blog which you can go to by clicking here.)
Tia
As you might guess from this picture, Tia is one of my FD family members.
Oh, how I love my FD family.
I am still amazed at how close we are after spending just one week together. Thank goodness for all of the technology we have these days that helps us keep in touch on a regular basis.
My dear Tia (or H2O) is battling this nasty breast cancer that just won't go away. She is Stage 4 as well. Her cancer has returned and is being a bit stubborn.
But this has not affected the optimism of this sweet, smiling lady.
She is going with both guns a' blazing.
I haven't been able to chat with her, but as far as I know, she will be starting chemo again soon.
I am sure that she has had her moments of anger and despair, as we all do in the trials of our lives, but if there is one thing I know about Tia- she is NOT going to take this lying down. She is a fighter and she will fight tooth and nail, every step of the way.
She is the mom to a beautiful girl, Kelsey, and I know she loves being a mom- just like I do.
She is currently miles away from her home so she can be at one of the best cancer facilities around. We are really hoping that she will make it back to Vegas for our little Tough Mudder reunion. It would not be complete without her.
Love ya H2O. Keep fighting. Keep smiling. Show that stupid cancer who's the boss.
Brian
Again, another FD (which stands for First Descents just in case you forgot) family member putting up a good fight at the moment.
Brian (AKA Juice), had surgery on Sunday because of a tumor on or near his spine that was extremely close to causing paralysis of his legs.
This really was quite a shocker for our whole FD family. Out of all of us, I would dare say that Juice is the most positive. The most optimistic. He makes extremely healthy choices in his life and has a very healthy lifestyle. We were all blown out of the water to learn that his cancer is also back and wreaking havoc on his body.
Blast this cancer!
I go back to my old standard of
"I wish cancer would get cancer and die."
If there is any person on this earth who could win this battle though, it is Brian.
I have loved reading his daily, uplifting and inspiring Facebook posts.
He is truly a warrior and I am so honored to call him my FD brother.
Sending so many hugs and positivity your way, Juice.
It is really amazing what just One Little Light can do.
Each of these lights has touched hundreds, possibly thousands of others in the course of their lives and they will continue to spread that light and positivity.
I know they will.
Best wishes and hope for speedy recoveries my friends.
I love you all.



No comments:
Post a Comment