Wednesday, December 4, 2013

My Little Rocky Balboa

There is one contact on my phone that I really don't like receiving calls from because usually it means that someone is sick or hurt.  That contact is our elementary school.  
A few weeks ago, I was just heading out the door to go and give a presentation on breast cancer, when my phone rang and the number that I dread appeared. 

This can't be happening now!  I don't have time for someone to be sick or hurt!

Sure enough, someone was hurt.  I heard my sweet Emma's voice on the other end.  
"Mom?  I ran into someone and..." (her voice catches and I knew the tears would start flowing).  I heard her terrific teacher, Mrs. Benedum, say, "Here Emma.  I will talk to her."
So Mrs. Benedum tells me that during P.E., Emma and a boy in her class ran into each other while playing capture the flag.  She said, "Her eye is pretty swollen and I always like to call when there is a head injury."  
"Ok, I will be right there", I say.  Really not knowing how this was going to fit in my schedule because I needed to leave 5 minutes ago to get to my presentation on time.  So I called Mark on the way to the school to see if he could run home from work and stay with Emma because, ya...it's probably not a great idea to leave a child home by herself with a head injury.
I run into the school and get her all checked out.  This is the face I see coming down the hall.
I really had a bit of a freak out moment and then quickly composed myself.
It looked like she had a golf ball under her skin.
Poor girl.  She was in a lot of pain and I was saying a silent prayer that there were no broken bones.
I met Mark at home and left Emma in the care of her dad while I went to my presentation.  (Which went very well and I loved it.  I love to talk and to teach so it was really fun for me.)

It was really sore for a few days and once the swelling went down, she had a really nice shiner.
My little Rocky Balboa.





No comments:

Post a Comment