This might be kind of a stretch for a tradition, but I wanted to talk a little bit about the role that music plays in our lives. I would consider music a tradition for our family because it really is a part of our daily routines.
There have been so many songs throughout my life that have touched me or strengthened me or given me hope. That has been especially true during my fight with cancer. I don't think it is a coincidence that this Martina McBride song came out the very day I was diagnosed.
That song gave me hope and comfort in those first days of the nightmare. When I was so consumed with fear and anxiety, I could turn on that song and knew that no matter what happened, I was going to have so many people "loving me through it" that I could conquer any obstacle.
There were two other songs that helped me during those nightmarish days.
Be Still My Soul performed by Eclipse
(I could not find their version on YouTube...but here is a version by David Archuleta. I chose David just for you Lyndsey. ;)
and
Just Let Me Cry by Hilary Weeks
I even sent an email to Hilary because the lyrics of this song described how I was feeling perfectly.
Music has always had a way to soothe my soul. When I am stressed or frustrated, I like to sit down at the piano and just play and/or sing. I always feel better when I am done and it brings such a great spirit into our home.
Now fast forward two years later to today. The past few weeks have been a different kind of nightmare. One, I am afraid, that I will have to endure time and time again every time something seems a little off. I know that someday I will get to a point where I don't think that every little thing means that the cancer has come back. But after what shall now be known as the "Scare of 2013", I know that as much as I say I have put it behind me and moved on, there will always be a part of me that is terrified it will come back.
I found myself returning to these songs and many others that brought peace to my soul, but I also found myself inspired by a couple of other songs. These songs were perfect for the fighting mood I was in. I have to admit, I am a little angry that cancer has already taken 2 years of my life (which really feels more like 10 considering how much my body has aged), and now I was faced with the possibility of it robbing me of even more years. Thankfully that was not in the cards for me right now, but I still listen to these songs on a daily basis because they just put me in a good mood and make me feel like I can conquer anything.
Roar by Katy Perry
My girls and I are big Katy Perry fans. We love her spunk, her kindness, and the way she encourages people to be their own person and be proud of who they are.
(This probably isn't necessary, but I feel like I have to apologize beforehand if anyone is offended by Katy's outfit in this video. I hope that as you are watching it, you don't get stuck on the amount of clothes she may or may not be wearing, but on the message of the song. :)
The lyrics of this song really struck a chord with me. It is exactly how I feel about cancer.
"You held me down, but I got up.
Already brushing off the dust.
You hear my voice, you hear that sound.
Like thunder gonna shake the ground.
You held me down, but I got up.
Get ready 'cause I've had enough.
I see it all, I see it now.
I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire.
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar.
Louder, louder than a lion.
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar."
Brave by Sara Barielles
The song talks about speaking out and being brave to stand up for things. I love to talk to my kids about that message. I love the fact that on this blog in particular, I have the freedom to "say what I wanna say". I think the song also applies not only to saying what we want to say, but also being brave in general. If there is one thing that I want my kids to take away from the experience that our family had with cancer, it's that their mom was brave, even when things were tough. Their mom was not going to just lie down and let the cancer take over. She fought it tooth and nail so that she could stay here and be their mother- her most important job.
I feel such gratitude to have been blessed with so much good music in my life. I am thankful to have the abilities to express my thoughts, feelings, and testimony through music. I hope that I will continue to have opportunities to do this. I also hope that you can find the music in your life that uplifts and strengthens you.
I agree-- "Roar" is a great song, no matter what Katy Perry is (or is not) wearing in the video! :)
ReplyDeleteBrave. YES OH YES. Love that song!
ReplyDeleteOh Des, you know I just love me some Archie!! ��
ReplyDelete