Sunday, October 6, 2013

I Believe- 3

What a fantastic Conference weekend!  
I am never disappointed with a conference weekend.  So many good talks and uplifting messages.  I feel ready to go out and be a better person, wife, mother, daughter.  You name it.  I am inspired.

I will probably be choosing a few talks to share for my "I Believe" series, but the first one I want to share was given by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf.  He is the 2nd counselor in our First Presidency and he is completely amazing.  His talks are always so inspiring.  He gave a talk during the Saturday morning session that I found myself saying, "Exactly!  I have wanted to say that so many times!"  But I just couldn't come up with the right words.  He did, and I pretty much want to just quote his entire talk for you.  I won't do that, but I think I can come up with a few key points and then leave a link for you to go to if you want to listen/watch his talk.  You won't regret it.
(President Uchtdorf)

Quote #1
"...Why would anyone want to join such a church?...There are many reasons for this, but may I offer just a few.  First- This church was restored in our day by Jesus Christ Himself.  Here you find the authority to act in His name.  To baptize for the remission of sins.  To confer the gift of the Holy Ghost and to seal on earth and in heaven...Those who join this church love the Savior, Jesus Christ, and wish to follow Him...They rejoice in the knowledge that God speaks to mankind again.
Another reason is, because the church provides the opportunity for doing good!...A third reason why people join the church is because walking the path of discipleship leads to precious blessings..."
(God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith)

Quote #2
"The search for truth has led millions to the church...however, there are some who leave the church they once loved.  One might ask, 'If the gospel is so wonderful, why would anyone leave?'...In this church that honors personal agency so strongly that it was restored by a young man who asked questions and sought answers, we respect those who honestly search for truth.  It may break our hearts when their journey takes them away from the church we love and the truth we have found.  But we honor their right to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their own conscience, just as we claim the privilege for ourselves..."

Quote #3
"...Sometimes there's a difference of opinions as to what the facts really mean....And to be perfectly frank, there have been times when members or leaders of the church have simply made mistakes.  There may have been things said or done, that were not in harmony with our values, principles, or doctrine.  I suppose the church would only be perfect if it were run by perfect beings.  God is perfect.  And His doctrine is pure.  But He works through us, His imperfect children, and imperfect people make mistakes..."

Quote #4
"It is unfortunate that some have stumbled because of mistakes made by man.  But in spite of this, the eternal truth of the gospel found in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is not tarnished, diminished, or destroyed..."

Quote #5
"...This is the church of Jesus Christ.  God will not allow His church to drift from its appointed course nor fail to fulfill its divine destiny.  To those who have separated themselves from the church I say, My dear friends, there is yet a place for you here.  Come, and add your talents, gifts, and energies to ours.  We will all become better as a result..."

Quote #6
"...Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith..."

Quote #7
"...Some might say, 'I know a member of your church who is a hypocrite.  I could never join a church that makes someone like him as a member.  If you define hypocrite as someone who fails to live up perfectly to what he or she believes, then we are all hypocrites.  None of us is quite as Christlike as we know we should be...."

Quote #8
"...If you expect to find perfect people here, you will be disappointed.  But if you seek the pure doctrine of Christ, the word of God-which healeth the wounded soul- and the sanctifying influence of the Holy Ghost, then here, you will find them..."

Click here to watch to the full talk.

We had a couple of other exciting things that went along with our conference weekend.
The kids like to build a tent in the living room to lay in while they listen to the conference talks.  It makes the experience more enjoyable for them.  Bailey decided she wanted in on the action too.

Josh had the opportunity to sing with a choir of Young Men in the Priesthood Session of Conference on Saturday night.  Conference consists of a Relief Society Meeting (for the women in the church), a Priesthood session (for the men) and 4 general sessions (for everyone).  He has been attending practices for weeks now and he was really excited to be able to participate in this event.
Yes, I took pictures of him on the TV.  I am a mom.  I do things like that.
The choir sounded phenomenal.  I am so proud of my handsome young man.  He consistently makes great choices and is never ashamed or afraid to give his mommy a hug and a kiss.

Whew!  Congratulations for making it to the end of this post!  It was a lengthy one, but full of greatness.


No comments:

Post a Comment