Camp Kesem is a magical place where my girls go and while they are there they don't have to worry about anything!!! It's a place where they can go and just have fun and be kids.
We love Camp Kesem and are so thankful for the opportunity we have to be a part of it.
Here is the low-down on how this wonderful camp works.
If you are a kid and one (or both) of your parents has had cancer, you are in.
You get to go for a whole week- free of charge- and play and have fun with other kids who know what it's like to be in your shoes. The counselors are college students (we attend the camp run by Southern Utah University) and they...are...amazing.
Abbie and Emma were able to attend last year. It was SUU's first year of hosting a Camp Kesem. They had a blast and have been so excited that Ellie would be able to join them this year.
(photo courtesy of Camp Kesem SUU)
Look how little they were last year! I can't believe how much they have grown in one short year.
Camp was held in a different location this year- one that was a little closer to home, so that was nice. Instead of a 4 hour drive, it only took us 1. :)
The campsite was a lot nicer too. The girls thought they were in heaven when I dropped them off. There was a nice amphitheater with an actual, real, live stage for performing, a pool, nice bathroom facilities and a cabin solely used for arts and crafts. (Abbie was drooling about that one.)
Of course in all the excitement, I forgot to take any pictures of them before I left. I did, however, take plenty when I picked them up. (You'll notice Grandma Great in some of the pictures. She rode with me to pick them up.)
Here are some of the highlights from Camp Kesem...as seen through the camera lens of my girlies.
Pictures taken by Abbie
Pictures taken by Ellie
Pictures taken by Emma
I had to laugh at all of the pictures that had a finger or two in the shot. I was famous for always having my finger in the shot when I was younger...even after I had married Mark. Like Mother Like Daughter I suppose. :)
I had to laugh at all of the pictures that had a finger or two in the shot. I was famous for always having my finger in the shot when I was younger...even after I had married Mark. Like Mother Like Daughter I suppose. :)
The girls had to choose camp names. They could not, under any circumstances, call each other by their real names...or they would have to go kiss a tree. ;)
This is the cabin that they stayed in. I was happy when I dropped them off to find out that they would all 3 be in the same cabin. Ellie has been away from home before, but I was a little nervous about how she would do at night. She did great. Not a single tear shed (except when they had a "cabin chat" where they shared some stories and Abbie talked about the night that we had to shave my head. :( )
These are some of the girls counselors...the ones that were in charge of their groups. They worked with all of the counselors, but these are the ones that were their "bosses" for the week. Can I just say that I will never be able to thank these sweet college kids for taking so much time out of their lives to make this week magical and awesome for my kiddos? They are incredible people.
And the pile of stuff...before we loaded it all back into the car and a small portion of the gigantic pile of laundry that I had once we got home. It was so worth it though.
As much as I hate cancer and what it has brought in to our lives, I do love the fact that my girls will now have this amazing opportunity every summer until they are 16 (or 17 and 18 if they choose to be a counselor in training). They have made friends that they will get to see every summer, and they have had the chance to run wild and just be kids for a whole week. No bossy momma telling them to clean up their junk. :)
I missed them so much. I was not able to talk to them for the whole week and I would find myself just wandering around their rooms every once in a while, praying that they were safe and that they were having the time of their lives. My prayers were answered. They were safe, they had fun, and now they are a little on the grumpy side because of an exhausting week, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
*If you would like to learn more about Camp Kesem, you can check out their website here.
If you would like to donate, there is a donation button you can click. :)
Thanks!








I am so glad the girls had fun at camp. And that you and Josh had some fun bonding moments, nothing better than that. Love your cute family!!!
ReplyDelete