Thursday, August 1, 2013

A Beautiful Day to say "See You Later"

Last Saturday (July 27th), we said our final "See You Later's" to our wonderful Grandpa Great.
I say "See You Later" and not "Goodbye", because we will see him later.  Thanks to a beautiful plan from a loving Father in Heaven.
(You can read more about that plan here.)

It was a very long week for us all.  The day turned out to be beautiful and it was a great day filled with sorrow, love, joy and memories.
We were exhausted by the day's end, but so thankful to have been able to pay tribute to our Superman.

Some of us had a little something to leave with Grandpa.  The girls made some cute pictures.  Josh left one of his golf balls (Grandpa has a stunning golf ball collection).  I had asked my Grandma if she would be ok with me leaving Grandpa's Fowlks Fighter shirt with him.  I left him a little message from his "Rae Rae".  
The funeral service was very beautiful.  
Most of the grandkids and great-grandkids sang the opening song, "When Grandpa Comes".  I almost didn't make it through the song.
My uncles, Ross and Roger spoke as well as my cousin, Leslie, who was representing her family there.  My Uncle Mike, his wife, son, and daughter-in-law (all of Leslie's family) were in Africa on a Safari that they had been planning for a very long time.  It was heartbreaking that they couldn't be there.  But they were where my Grandpa wanted them to be.  They sent an amazing letter for Leslie to read. 
Grandma asked if me, and my cousins, Jenn and Kelcey, would sing "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof.  My grandpa loved musicals.  "Paint Your Wagon" and "Oklahoma" are two of his favorites.  In fact, they watched those movies in the hospital room the last day of his life here.  After losing my composure during the opening song, I wasn't so sure I would be able to make it through this one, but it went very well.  Grandpa was definitely with us.
My dad spoke as well and was followed by my grandparents' Bishop and Stake President.  I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to participate in the service and see the huge amount of people who were there to pay their respects.  Both viewings had lines going out the door and the chapel and part of the gym were filled with people who love and admire my grandfather.
Josh and I closed with a cello/piano duet "O My Father".  We played this for my grandpa only a few short weeks ago at a recital at their house.  I am so glad that he was able to enjoy it twice.
We headed over to the cemetery and had a wonderful experience there as we stood by my grandmother and their long-time friend said a dedicatory prayer on my grandpa's gravesite.
The flowers were absolutely stunning.  
I have to add a quick side note here.
I love my family so much.  I am so thankful that I will be able to be with them forever.  Some days I wish that we could all be on the other side, free from the pains of this earthly life.  I look forward to spending eternity with these beautiful people (and so many others that I didn't get a picture of. :)
(Poor Haiven.  She did not want her picture taken and for good reason.  About 5 minutes after I took this picture, she was losing her snack of animal crackers that had already been digesting in her tummy if you know what I mean.)  Some of us were not feeling 100% that day- in more ways than one.

After the cemetery, we headed back to Grandpa and Grandma's house for a final "Fowlks Fighter BBQ".  When we were sitting around discussing plans for the funeral and such, Grandma said that she just couldn't see us going back to the church for a family dinner.  Grandpa would have hated it.  He loved his family and extended family and friends so much.  He loved to have them over so a BBQ at his house was exactly what we all needed.  It was awesome.
So many memories shared.  Opportunities to laugh and cry and remember this Superman of all Supermans.


As I said before, we were all exhausted by the days end, but that didn't stop the kiddos from having another little party.  We had a handful of cousins spending the night at our house and it was crazy and fun all rolled up into one.  
My house= disaster zone
But it was so worth it.  They had a fun time making tents to sleep in and making wonderful memories.  I remember many nights with my cousins over at my grandparent's house and I am glad that my kids are able to have opportunities to make wonderful memories as well.

I wanted to share the video that my brother, Dan, made to be shown at the viewings.  He has started his own production company (Cypress Rock Productions) and he did a phenomenal job at putting this thing together.  I cry every time I watch it.  Such a beautiful tribute to grandpa.  Thank you Dan for this little gem.


(I don't have access to the final version so excuse the typo at the end.  It should say "A great example to all.")

Thank you to everyone who has sent kind words of love and support.  Our family has felt an outpouring of love and we are extremely grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment