Monday, June 10, 2013

Utah Youth Symphony

May was full of so many wonderful things that I was bound to skip over one of two of them.  I realized the other day that I did not write about Josh's new adventure...the Utah Youth Symphony.
He has been wanting to audition for a while, but with all of the other excitement happening around our house, we just couldn't make it happen.

He auditioned on May 22 and I am happy to say that he did very well.  He is not one to get nervous, but I guess the nerves kicked in because at the last minute, he decided to switch one of the songs he was playing.  
He didn't like the way the one song (called Allemande) sounded while he was practicing before his audition. So while he was warming up, he decided to play one of the Bach Suites instead.  I had no idea of this little switch until after his audition.  
I asked him how it went and he said, "Good, except I didn't play Allemande."
I was a little shocked and said, "Okay, what did you play then?"
"Oh, I just played one of the Bach Suites."  (Like it's no big deal to just whip out a Bach Suite on the cello.)

Well, whatever he did worked, because he is now a member of the Utah Youth Symphony and is very excited to start on this new adventure.  We are very excited for him and proud of all of his hard work.  He has worked very hard over the last 3 months to be ready for this audition.  I love to see the joy that the cello brings him.  I see a great musical future ahead of him.


*I also wanted to add a little side note to my last post.*
I talked about our "Fowlks Fighters" and I failed to mention one very important member of that group.  (Thanks Dad for reminding me!)
This is a picture of my grandpa's brother, Gayle and his wife, Jean.
Gayle battled leukemia for about 5 years I think before his body could fight no longer.  He died in 2001.  He  holds the title of the original "Fowlks Fighter".  He was such a sweet man.  So kind and genuine.  I loved his smile.  It was very hard to see him fighting this terrible disease and I know that my grandpa's recent diagnosis has brought back these memories for everyone in our family.  We hoped to never have to see someone we love have to suffer so much.  We are praying that with all the medical advances made over the last 10 years or so will help my grandpa to be as comfortable as possible when the time comes for him to leave us.
Thank you, Gayle, for being an inspiration to us all and for showing us what being a "Fowlks Fighter" is all about.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post, first of our handsome grandson, so so proud of that young man, and second of uncle Gayle who was a fighter!!!!

    ReplyDelete