Thursday, May 2, 2013

Thankful Thursday 35

If I would have written this post earlier in the day, I would have expressed my gratitude for the opportunity to spend the afternoon yesterday with the love of my life on his birthday.
I am thankful for that and we had a wonderful afternoon together.

But since about 5:15 this evening, my thoughts have been turned elsewhere.
The ugly cancer beast has struck again- I loathe that beast.
It sneaks into people's lives, turning them upside down and all around and I really, really don't like it.

My mom sent me a text this morning letting me know that my Grandpa F. was in the hospital being observed.  He had some shortness of breath this morning and they thought they were going to have to clean out some of his arteries.  After doing some bloodwork and tests, they discovered the beast.  
Leukemia.
Now, there are a few different forms of Leukemia.  I know my mom told me the name of it and I can't remember what it is right now.  Of course, in these beginning stages of diagnosis it's a waiting game and information comes in small, painful doses.  We will know more tomorrow after he has a bone marrow test.

Mark and I went and visited him at the hospital tonight.  He was in great spirits.  I think both he and my grandma are in a little bit of shock, trying to absorb everything,  but he is one tough cookie and I have no doubt that he is going to fight this thing tooth and nail.  

I was fortunate enough to snap this great picture on Halloween this past year.  His costume?  He was going as my grandma.  Lol.  I laughed a lot.... :)

My grandpa is seriously one of the toughest men that I know.  I can't count how many times I have visited them only to find him with a new cut or bruise or band-aid because he was out working and "just got a little scratch".  I know that this is more than a little scratch, but I also know that he will treat it like his other aches and pains and forge ahead.

I have been blessed with amazing grandparents...on both sides.
I am so thankful and feel so lucky that I live less than 5 minutes away from all of them.
I love that my kids have the opportunity to know and love their great grandparents.

We love you Grandma and Grandpa Great!
With love, faith and a positive attitude- anything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment