Monday, January 14, 2013

Day 514

On the day that I was diagnosed with cancer, I decided that I wanted to keep a journal about the journey, a  daily one if at all possible.  I started that very day and did a pretty good job of recording daily experiences  and feelings.  
Today when I wrote in that journal, I discovered that I am on Day #514.
Wow.
When I started this journey way back when, I did not imagine that 514 days later, I would still be talking about it, thinking about it, and feeling the effects of a year and a half's worth of punches.
Maybe I was just being naive...or hopeful.
At any rate, here I am, 514 days of being a cancer survivor with many more days to come.

I have been feeling good.
I would like to say that I feel great and wonderful, but good is all we're gonna get for a while.
I am about 5 weeks out from my last surgery.  I have not been able to bounce back as quickly as I thought I would.  I think my body has finally reached it's breaking point.  It is saying, "No more!  I am done!"  I still have another week of no vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, exercising, lifting, etc.  I think once I can start doing those things again, I will feel a little more lively.  I feel like I have just been a lump on the couch.  It's nice for a few days, but not a few weeks.

I mentioned a few posts back that I was closing one chapter and starting another.  This chapter should prove to be a little more low-key, but there will still be some obstacles to overcome.  I met with my plastic surgeon on Friday and found out that I will  have to do 1 possibly 2 more surgeries this year to fix some issues.  They will both be out-patient surgeries with minimal recovery, but it's still another surgery or two.  (BOO!)
Fortunately it's not something that needs to be taken care of right away so I am waiting until the end of May when my preschool will be over and I will have a little time to catch my breath.

This year will also bring doctor's visits, medication and time to allow my body to heal.
The medication I am on now is called Arimidex.  So far I haven't noticed too many side effects from it.  I hope that continues because I will be taking it every day for the next 4 1/2 years.  But the important thing is that I am healing.  I am grateful for each day that I can get out of bed and take care of my family, even though I do it really slowly.  I won't be winning any races, but I will be living and breathing and that is awesome.

2 comments:

  1. This momma is as well happy that you are getting out of bed and moving slowly, better slowly than not. This journey has been a long one for you and so sorry that you had to even go through it, but we can't replace the things that have been learned and the growth made from it. Love ya so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say that every day is you winning a race. I'm so dang glad you're still here.

    ReplyDelete