Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tuesday Traditions 4

Now that we have some snow, I have to say it is beginning to feel a lot like....Thanksgiving!
I know the stores jump straight from Halloween to Christmas, but not me.  Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays.  I love to be with the family and I especially love eating all of the delicious food!  A holiday where we just stuff ourselves continually all day long?!?  Come on!  It doesn't get much better than that! :)

Anyway, since we will be out of town next Tuesday, I thought I would share some of our Thanksgiving traditions today.
When I was little, I remember being really excited to travel up to the big city to be with our grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins.  I would always try to fall asleep in the car during the drive because that would mean that we would get there faster.  Thanksgiving day brought lots of food, family and fun.  
Some foods that always say Thanksgiving to me?
*Celery sticks with Cheez Whiz for appetizers
*Pink fruit salad (one bowl with walnuts, one without...I will take the one without, thank you.)
*Turkey and mashed potatoes of course
*Sweet potatoes with a delicate marshmallow crust
*Grandma Hansen's rolls...haven't had those rolls for over 15 years now, although Grandma Holt does a pretty amazing job of duplicating them.
*Banana cream pie with graham cracker crust

Yum.  My mouth is watering just thinking about all of the deliciousness.
My mom has a lot of my older pictures still, but I dug out a couple from Thanksgivings gone by.
I think my mom made the quilted outfit on the left.  :)

Thanksgivings now are a lot the same as they were then.  Still lots of yummy food and family.

One other tradition that we have with my side of the family is to go to a movie the day after Thanksgiving.  We are not Black Friday shoppers.  I have done that 2 times in my life and that is 2 times too many.  I don't know if I would even do it if it meant that I got all of my Christmas presents for free.  Too many people.
Going to a movie that day is great.  Not too crowded and we usually try to see something Christmas-y to kick off the Christmas season.
Since I don't have any current Thanksgiving photos yet, I thought I would share a few from Thanksgiving 2008.
(Sorry Emma, had to post the pic of you in tears because I just love it so much!)
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
*As always, I would love to hear about your own family traditions.  Feel free to leave a comment about some of the things you do for Thanksgiving. :)  Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Mine are the same as yours :)
    Now it is trying to establish them in a little different way as the family has grown and not all close together. We do our best though to try and keep them going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot the pictures of all the arm wrestling from that Thanksgiving! Ha ha! Wish we could be together! One of these years it will happen again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some silly reason my Thanksgiving traditions sound A LOT like yours....weird.
    Arm wrestling next week???

    ReplyDelete