Today I would like to express gratitude for two things.
Last night I had the opportunity to participate in a service project with the women from my Relief Society group. The Relief Society is the organization for women in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
(To learn more about the Relief Society and all of the amazing things we can do as
women in this church, click here. )
(To learn more about the Relief Society and all of the amazing things we can do as
women in this church, click here. )
The service project we worked on last night is for a non-profit organization called Youthlinc.
(Click on their logo to be directed to their website)
(Click on their logo to be directed to their website)
This incredible organization is designed specifically for youth to be involved in service opportunities in their own communities and throughout the world. They are high school and college-aged kids who are learning how to be leaders, how to serve and how to contribute to society in a good way. I really love this organization and I hope that my kids will want to be a part of it when they are older.
Back to the service project...
We were making sanitary napkins for girls in 3rd world countries who cannot just run to the store and purchase items like these. These young girls are pretty much forced to stay home from school one week out of every month because they only have one school uniform and they can't risk ruining it. I was moved to tears as I heard stories of these girls shouting for joy when they were given hygiene kits with new underwear and these homemade, washable sanitary napkins. We take so many things for granted here. I never thought I would be thankful for "girly things", but I am very thankful that I have the opportunity to run to the store and purchase these whenever I need to. I am thankful that I do not have to make my own, or rely on someone to give them to me because I do not have the resources to get them on my own.
This brings me to thing number two that I am thankful for.
As of next month I will not need the above mentioned "girly things" and I really am pretty excited about that. :) Not too terribly excited about yet another surgery and recovery period...but excited and thankful to be rid of my periods, period.
Fingers crossed that my body will adjust to the no estrogen thing as well. I did not produce estrogen while undergoing chemotherapy and Abbie told me during that time that I was a "much nicer mommy". So I am hoping that I actually might be nicer without estrogen...which is weird I know. Or maybe I was just nicer because I was doped up on all sorts of good meds. Only time will tell I guess. :)
Happy Thursday everyone!

No comments:
Post a Comment