Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tuesday Traditions 1

Before I begin this post, I just have to say that I am feeling MUCH better.
Evil twin has gone and "new normal" Des is back.
That means that everyone is much happier around here.
You've heard the saying...
So true...so true...
Anyway, now on to the real reason for this post.
A new blog feature- so to speak.

I started "Thankful Thursdays" a little while ago and have really enjoyed being able to really think about things that I am grateful for.  Life gets busy and sometimes we just need to stop and think about things that are truly important in this life.

As I have prayed and pondered about what I can do on this blog to keep people interested now that the whole cancer chapter of my life is winding down...I have come up with a couple of things.  One of those things is what I am going to call, "Tuesday Traditions".  Hopefully those of you who are still reading my blog will find this interesting.  If not, oh well.  It will be good for me to keep track of for my posterity anyway.

I am still trying to sort out exactly which direction I want to take this, but for now I am planning on sharing Family Traditions.  Traditions are a very important part of family life.  I found a really great paper written by a student at Ohio State University that talks about why family traditions are so important.
Here is the opening statement.
"The special things we look forward to as a family and the everyday routines we abide by such as the time we get up, the foods we have for breakfast, the things we do on the weekends, and the activities we are involved in during the week are the threads of life that bind us together as a family."

I love that!  "The threads of life that bind us together as a family."  Reading this paper made me realize that there are so many little things we do every day that qualify as "traditions".  It's not just things that we do on holidays or special occasions.  

One other quote from that paper that I loved...
"Families that have the strongest ties have the most traditions or rituals in their life."

So in an effort to strengthen my family and hopefully inspire others to do the same...we are starting "Tuesday Traditions".  I would love to have your feedback and learn about traditions that you have in your families.  We have a lot of traditions in our family, but I am afraid I will run out of traditions to share before I run out of Tuesdays.  :)  So I would really love your thoughts and ideas.  You can email them to me...or just comment on the "Tuesday Tradition" posts.

I will leave you with a little photo collage of my munchkins.  One of the traditions we do every year, is take a photo to hang on the wall.  Something I am sure most of you do.  I love it because when I put the new picture in the frame, I get to look at all of the other pictures and reminisce.  So far I have been able to keep all of their pictures in the frames, although Josh's frame is bulging a bit in the back.  ;)
I am excited about this new addition to the blog and I hope that you will be willing to share your traditions as we all work together to strengthen our families.

1 comment:

  1. Our family started a tradition quite by accident recently. I always read Marilla a story before bed, but lately Talia has been interfering-- trying to take the book away, trying to push Rilla off my lap, just typical toddler stuff. So Andy has gotten into the habit of taking her outside to look at the moon and the stars, while I read to Rilla. Now whenever Talia sees a picture of the moon, she points and says "Moon, Ba-ba," and I know she is thinking of those special times with her dad.

    ReplyDelete