I am going to post this a day early because tomorrow morning, bright and early, I will be on my way to the hospital.
Tomorrow (and today) and I am thankful that I will be one step closer to closing the book on cancer.
It's been a really long book, with teeny tiny font that has taken me forever to read.
Actually to tell you the truth, I have gotten to a point where most days, I don't even think about cancer anymore. It seems like such a short time ago, it consumed me. Everything around me was a constant reminder that I was sick. I had a hard time seeing the finish line.
But now, here I am just a few short paces from that finish line and it feels wonderful!
It has been 418 days since I heard the words "You have cancer".
When I see that number, I really can't believe it because it still feels like yesterday when I was holding that phone in my hand, staring out my car window in disbelief at what I had just heard.
Oh how time flies when you're having fun, right? ;)
So here are the details for tomorrow.
This is (hopefully) the last of my reconstructive surgery. I say hopefully because we have to watch things closely for three months to make sure that everything stays where it needs to be and looks as "natural" as possible. (If that is possible at this point). But I am pretty confident that everything is going to turn out great. I have quite the perfectionist for a plastic surgeon so I know that she is going to do a great job.
She will be taking out the horrible, awful, no good, very bad tissue expanders.
Remember this picture?
The picture really doesn't do it justice. They look like fried eggs or something soft. Not so. These puppies are like having two giant rocks in your chest all the time. Not so great to hug people or snuggle or sleep on your stomach. One day, Ellie plopped down next to me on the couch and her head hit against my chest. She sat up rubbing the back of her head with her hand and said, "Ouch, Mommy. That hurt!"
Sorry babe. Didn't mean to give you a concussion.
I am so thankful that tomorrow I will be rid of them and will have softer, silicone implants in their place. A whole new set as people will often tell me. I guess that's true, but for me they will always be not quite as good as the originals. Even though the originals tried to kill me, I miss them.
Okay, moving on....
the surgery is just an outpatient surgery so I won't have to stay in the hospital for very long, which is lovely. I will probably have a few sore days, but I have plenty of pain meds to keep me company.
I have been saving up some movies and tv shows to watch too, so I am ready to go!
Wish me luck!

No comments:
Post a Comment