I hate to use the same picture again, but I just think it describes perfectly how I feel again.
Tonight is the night that the hair will have to leave.
I can tell that it has been dying a slow death. The texture has changed, it doesn't hold curl anymore, and I can't get it to style very well anymore.
This morning when I was attempting to style it, I pulled my hand away with a chunk of hair. I do have to say that it startled me and I gasped. Even though I knew this day would come and have tried to prepare myself, it still did not make the reality of the situation any easier.
I am going to miss my hair.
Let's just take a little walk down "Des' Hair Memory Lane" shall we?
We already know that I started out with nothing...
Hey- I can always slap a bow on my head if I am tired of wearing a scarf or a hat.
Then I actually got some hair and my mom was left in charge of it...
(sorry mom, I know you did the best you could with what you had to work with)
Kindergarten= cute. 4th grade, however= Yikes...
It really just went downhill from there. I started doing my own hair, which was probably a mistake. I should have just let my mom keep doing it.
So you have already seen and laughed at this one...
Oh, but it gets better. Just look at what happens when you try to grow a sweet 'do like this out...
(A quick apology to my siblings. It had to be posted.)
So, the growing out stage was worse than the actual "bad hair year".
Then, when it finally grew out, I thought that some glamour shots would be a great idea. I know, I know- glamour shots are NEVER a good idea.
Fast forward a bit- I graduated high school, met Mark and had a couple of kids...
I went from bottle blonde back to my natural color back to some blonde highlights, short, medium length, etc. Still had some not-so-great hairstyles, but nothing compared to the bad hair year.
The good news is, I really like changing my hair style or color about every 6 months. With a scarf or hat, I will have a different style every day!
Finally! I came to my senses! It finally got to a length I wanted and I think I actually had some nice hair goin' on.
Like I said- I am really going to miss my hair.
BUT...hold on....a few positives about having no hair.
1. I will not have to clean hair off of the bathroom counter, sink, floor, etc.
2. I will not have to clean hairspray residue off every inch of my bathroom.
3. I can have a different look every day.
4. It will take me about 5 minutes or less to get ready in the morning.
5. I can bake and cook without having to worry about someone finding a hair in their food.
6. Along with losing the hair on my head, I will lose hair on my legs and underarms as well. No more shaving for this gal! :)
So we will be holding a special Family Home Evening tonight.
The kids are in charge of shaving mom's head.
Should be interesting....but lots of fun.
I am not sure if I will post those pictures or not. I will see how they turn out. I guess if I am brave enough to post pictures of my bad hair year and glamour shots, then I should be brave enough to let everyone see my bald head.
So we will see. I am more sad than I thought I would be, but want to make it as fun as possible.
So bring on the scarves and hats! I am ready for ya!

Tonight is the night that the hair will have to leave.
I can tell that it has been dying a slow death. The texture has changed, it doesn't hold curl anymore, and I can't get it to style very well anymore.
This morning when I was attempting to style it, I pulled my hand away with a chunk of hair. I do have to say that it startled me and I gasped. Even though I knew this day would come and have tried to prepare myself, it still did not make the reality of the situation any easier.
I am going to miss my hair.
Let's just take a little walk down "Des' Hair Memory Lane" shall we?
We already know that I started out with nothing...
Hey- I can always slap a bow on my head if I am tired of wearing a scarf or a hat.
Then I actually got some hair and my mom was left in charge of it...
(sorry mom, I know you did the best you could with what you had to work with)
Kindergarten= cute. 4th grade, however= Yikes...
It really just went downhill from there. I started doing my own hair, which was probably a mistake. I should have just let my mom keep doing it.
So you have already seen and laughed at this one...
Oh, but it gets better. Just look at what happens when you try to grow a sweet 'do like this out...
(A quick apology to my siblings. It had to be posted.)
So, the growing out stage was worse than the actual "bad hair year".
Then, when it finally grew out, I thought that some glamour shots would be a great idea. I know, I know- glamour shots are NEVER a good idea.
Fast forward a bit- I graduated high school, met Mark and had a couple of kids...
I went from bottle blonde back to my natural color back to some blonde highlights, short, medium length, etc. Still had some not-so-great hairstyles, but nothing compared to the bad hair year.
The good news is, I really like changing my hair style or color about every 6 months. With a scarf or hat, I will have a different style every day!
Finally! I came to my senses! It finally got to a length I wanted and I think I actually had some nice hair goin' on.
Like I said- I am really going to miss my hair.
BUT...hold on....a few positives about having no hair.
1. I will not have to clean hair off of the bathroom counter, sink, floor, etc.
2. I will not have to clean hairspray residue off every inch of my bathroom.
3. I can have a different look every day.
4. It will take me about 5 minutes or less to get ready in the morning.
5. I can bake and cook without having to worry about someone finding a hair in their food.
6. Along with losing the hair on my head, I will lose hair on my legs and underarms as well. No more shaving for this gal! :)
So we will be holding a special Family Home Evening tonight.
The kids are in charge of shaving mom's head.
Should be interesting....but lots of fun.
I am not sure if I will post those pictures or not. I will see how they turn out. I guess if I am brave enough to post pictures of my bad hair year and glamour shots, then I should be brave enough to let everyone see my bald head.
So we will see. I am more sad than I thought I would be, but want to make it as fun as possible.
So bring on the scarves and hats! I am ready for ya!
Desirae, with or without hair you are one of the most amazing and beautiful women I know. With your sense of style the hats and scarves will look fantastic. Jacob has volunteered his Shaggy wig from last year's Halloween costume, I know that will make you jump for joy :) We're all still praying for you and your fam.
ReplyDeleteyou are beautiful!!! I talked to emma after school today and she was so excited to shave your head tonight! She is a really cute girl! can't wait to see pictures!!!
ReplyDeleteDes, You rock!!!!
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing. I understand how you feel about your hair. I cut six inches off my hair once, and I cried. I don't know how I could handle what you are going through. I love you, Des. I know you will be just as beautiful bald. I love hearing my little boys pray for you at the dinner table. It melts my heart. I miss you.
ReplyDeleteLove that first picture of you, my cute bald baby. I guess I can still say that huh? :) I am sure it was hard. But harder having it fall out in your hands. You are a beautiful person inside and out. I know that your faith will get you through these hard times. Your family love you!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love the NO shaving the legs and pits! I am a little jealous!!
ReplyDeleteLove and Hugs!
Those pictures are amazing ;) You will be beautiful with or without hair! I am so impressed with your attitude. You truly are an inspiration! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers always!
ReplyDelete