Saturday, October 1, 2011

Adjusting to "Normal"

Well, now I begin the process of settling in my new "normal" life.
This new normal will include,
*fighting off nausea with meds
*fighting off the tiredness caused by the nausea meds
*trying to get comfortable and not being able to pinpoint why I am uncomfortable
*wondering if I will get mouth sores, when I will get them, and how bad they will be.
*feeling like an "old woman" (no offense to anyone out there) when I try to get up off the couch or out of bed.
*having smells bother me and things tasting weird
(pretty much all of the horrid pregnancy side effects on steroids.)
How rude! I was done being pregnant. I never thought I would have to experience those discomforts at this level ever again in my life.


But, there are some good things that come along with this new normal...
*I have already had the opportunity to meet some great people.
One of them being this amazing and inspirational lady...

Photobucket
For those of you who are not familiar with this woman- her name is Sheri Dew, and she is amazing. Click on her name to read about her. She was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2006. She said that she feels like a cheater because she was able to get away with just a lumpectomy. But it was great to feel of her love and support for this great cause, and I hope that when I get done with all of the yucky part of this, I can be an advocate like her. I want to let women out there know that this is a big deal.
1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer. That is a scary statistic and am telling you right now--do self exams, get mammograms, protect yourself by being an advocate for yourself. If you feel like something is not right, talk to your doctor about it, and if that doctor doesn't believe you, find one who will. Breast cancer is 99% curable if found early enough.


*I had the wonderful opportunity to be honored at the high school football "Pink Out" game last night and was able to talk with other women who have been in my same position. I cried as they hugged me and told me that everything would be OK. "Keep fighting," they said. "Never give up"- and I don't plan to ever give up.
Photobucket
Giving up is not an option for me.
I have 4 young and amazing children who need me here to be their mother.
I have a husband who is my dearest and best friend, my eternal companion, and I am not ready to leave him.
I have SO many family and friends who seem to have come out of the woodwork to show their love and support for me.
So, no, giving up is not an option for me.

There will be days, yes, when I will feel like giving up for sure,
but on those days, I will turn to my Savior. I will put my hand in His, and I will let Him carry me through those days.

And when I come out on the other side of this?
I am going to be awesome.
(Read this article)


Like that article? Well, you are in luck. There are many more great men and women who are bearing their testimonies of our Savior and a loving Father in Heaven this very weekend. You don't have to be a member of my church to listen to them and feel comforted by their words. Just go here.
We have prophets and apostles, here, on the earth today. They testify of a loving Father in Heaven and of a Savior who gave His life so we could live.
Listening to these men and women have changed my life- I hope you will let them change yours too.

Love you all- thank you so much for all of your love and support.



5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! I am so jealous of your picture. I LOVE Sheri Dew! A second WOW because your post is incredible. The strength you have inspires me every day to be a better person. YOU are a true earthly example that every day is a new day and a day to be thankful for. You WILL be around for a loooonnnngggg time. love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You for sharing your journey with us! We love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that it is okay with you for me to write a comment. When Shelli told me about what was going on, my heart broke for you, then I realized that you are one tough cookie and I can see how positive you have been through all of this. You are in my thoughts often. I really want you to know that. I am so choked up today just writing this. There are 6 women in my ward who were all recently diagnosed with some form of cancer. Its something that I don't think you can ever really know how you will take it until it happens. I think your amazing, I know that Shelli is SO proud of you, and I want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I know you will kick this cancers butt!

    Kerryne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Des, you are so BEAUTIFUL!!!! Pink is your color sug. The chemo should be pink! Even the tabernacle choir wore pink for you.:) I thought about you during conference and how strong, and AMAZING you are. You've always been such an incredible example of being so faithful, so organized and just the sweetest ever. I know that your testimony will touch so many through this journey, as I can see it already has. Through your spirit, determination and faith alone, you've already beat this Cancer. Thanks for sharing your blog, My eyes are so blurry from crying,I can't even see what I'm typing. We are praying hard for you and your family. love u

    ReplyDelete