Thursday, September 29, 2011

Chemo: 1 down, 7 to go!

So I made it through one chemo treatment. One down- 7 to go.
I felt really calm about the whole chemo process until I actually got to the medical center. I didn't have a meltdown or anything, I just got very withdrawn. Mark would ask me questions and I would give him very simple, one word answers.
<span class=

This is what my port-e cath looks like. The surrounding area is a little red because they had just taken off the surgical bandages. Normally I have some numbing cream that I would put on my skin above the port, but I couldn't this time because of the bandages. But the needle stick wasn't too bad. It felt a lot like getting an IV in your arm. They have a special needle that is attached to a flat plastic disc with the IV tube coming out the other end. So once they get that needle in the port, they can access my vein to take blood or put medication in. Pretty cool actually.

<span class=
This is it--the Red Devil chemo being administered. Before they gave me this med though, they pumped me full of anti-nausea medications. Which I think have been very helpful. I haven't been having too much trouble with nausea. I have been taking some meds at home to keep on top of it.

<span class=


I couldn't believe just how red this med is!
I didn't really feel anything when all of the meds were going in other than the usual coldness that you feel when you get an IV. The nurse made sure I was chomping on ice the whole time she was administering the chemo. They have found that if you can keep your mouth cold, it really cuts down on the whole mouth sore situation. Which is fine with me. Who wants mouth sores?

So now it's the day after. I am surprised at how quickly I felt wiped out. I made it through preschool this morning just fine. I had to sit for most of it, but the kids were great and I think I will be able to handle the whole preschool thing. (YAY!)

I had to go back to the clinic this afternoon to get a Neulasta shot. This will help my body to produce white blood cells. While the chemo is searching out and destroying cancer cells, it is also destroying all of the cells I need- white, red, and platelets. If my white blood count is too low when I go in for my next treatment, I will not be able to receive chemo that day. So they will give me these shots the day after every chemo treatment to help my body produce more white cells.
So now this afternoon I feel kind of like I have the flu. Achy joints, hot flashes, tiredness. Could be worse though, it could be worse.

I will probably get in one more treatment before the hair starts falling out. That will be the next big step, but we are going to have fun in the process. It will be our Family Home Evening activity in a couple of weeks- shave mommy's head. The kids already have big plans as to what they are going to do to me before shaving it completely off.


Thank you SO, SO very much to everyone who wore pink yesterday to support me. I still tear up every time I look at all of the pictures. Thank you for your love. It sustains me through the rough times.
So the road to being cancer free has officially begun. It's gonna be a bumpy ride, but as my dad told me, I have a great driver (my Savior) who will get me to my destination safely. I am in this with Him 100%. I have felt His arms around me and know that He is helping my carry this burden.


4 comments:

  1. I had no idea chemo was red. You are such an example to me of how to handle the thinkgs we are given in our life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Des, you are such a good example of being positive through tough times - your strength, strengthens us (and makes us cry too!
    thank you for sharing this with us. You are in our prayers - love you, the kids and Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chemo is my favorite color. That's interesting. I'm glad the anti-nausea drugs are helping. I hate that feeling. You're so strong. Thank you for keeping us all informed and up to date. That can't be easy when you aren't feeling well. Love you, Des!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so beautiful and are so courageous! Thanks for sharing your journey with everyone. We are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete