I will always remember this day for 3 reasons.
Two of them are very exciting and one is not.
1. My baby boy started Junior High! Can you believe it? I can't!
Two of them are very exciting and one is not.
1. My baby boy started Junior High! Can you believe it? I can't!
I still remember him learning how to walk and now I had to drop him off at the Junior High so he could learn how to walk through the seemingly endless supply of hallways and staircases at that place. But I am mostly excited for him and he had a great day.
2. One of my very good friends, Hollie, has been waiting and waiting to welcome a baby girl into their family. She has two sweet little boys and now they have a beautiful baby girl thanks to an amazing miracle and a birth mom from out of state.
Baby Jayna is absolutely perfect in every little way (and I mean little- she was only 5 lbs. 5 oz. and she is tiny!) SO excited for their cute little family.
3. Not sure how to begin telling you about this one. My hands are shaking and I am having trouble typing. I keep having to backspace.
Today is the day that I learned I have cancer.
Yep- the ugly "C" word. The word I never in a million years thought I would ever have to experience.
This cute little cat poster says it all.
I definitely has a sad and it really sucks!
So here is the story up to now in the shortest version possible.
About a month ago I found a lump (now we know what kind of cancer we're talking about here). I wasn't too concerned about it. Both of my grandmothers have had fibroids removed and that is hereditary so I just assumed that's what we were dealing with.
My doctor suggested I have an ultrasound- so that I did.
Last week I had an ultrasound and they threw in a mammogram just for fun. ;)
Because I am over 30 and I found a lump.
Both the ultrasound and mammogram looked fine other than that one nasty little lump about the size of a large pea.
The doctor doing the ultrasound suggested that I come in for a biopsy so they could get a better idea of what that little lump was made of.
That brings us to Thursday. Went in for the biopsy. Came away feeling great and pretty confident that we were still dealing with a fibroid. They said they would call Friday afternoon with the results.
Now we are to Friday morning about 10 am. I am picking Emma up from ice skating- have all my cute girlies with me and we are getting into the car to head to Costco. My phone rings and the person on the other end- one Dr. O'Neill I believe- says,
"Well, Desirae, we got the results back from your biopsy and I am very sorry to say that it does not look good. There were some cancer cells that showed up."
I'm sorry, "WHAT!?!?!?!?!"
Did you actually just tell me that I have cancer?
That's just not possible I am thinking. There is no history of breast cancer in my family and this thing is just a fibroid.
So what do I do? I say, "Really- wow" and I get in my car and start driving. Except I don't drive to Costco, I go the opposite direction to Mark's work. All I could think of at that moment was that I needed Mark. I needed him to hug me and tell me that everything is going to be fine.
As I am driving she is still talking to me and I am hearing things like
"MRI and Grade 2 Cancer and Surgeon and I'm Sorry and millions of other things."
Why didn't I pull over and write these things down?
Fast forward to today. Right now this is what I know.
I have Breast Cancer- it's not super aggressive but it's not passive either. It's right smack in the middle. I will have to have a Lumpectomy at the very least. I have no idea what other kind of treatment I will have to have yet. I had an MRI on Friday night and I meet with a surgeon on Tuesday to find out what the next few weeks or months of my life is going to involve.
This is what else I know.
I am going to be ok.
I will forever be known as a Breast Cancer Survivor and I will proudly wear that on my back when I run the Race for the Cure next year.
The next few weeks/months are going to suck and not be fun.
My Heavenly Father loves me and is looking out for me. There are many small little miracles that have already taken place to have me here, in this moment, with the right people to take care of me.
I am supposed to learn something from this experience and through this experience I will be able to help others.
I really have the greatest friends and family in the world.
So- that's the scoop! I wish I knew more. The unknown is killing me! I am a planner. I need to plan things and this is not how I like to plan things.
I am planning on updating through my blog- not Facebook. I would rather have people look at my cute blog then check my status updates on Facebook. So if you want to keep tabs on me, you can become a follower on my blog or just check it periodically.
Thank you to everyone for your sweet messages of love- your prayers and your thoughts and your willingness to drop everything and serve me.
I am amazed that already I feel the power of so many prayers on my behalf. It's an incredible feeling and I feel so blessed to have so many awesome people in my life who care so much about me. There are so many people with bigger crosses to bear.
Thank you- I love you- and here's to kicking cancer in the butt!
2. One of my very good friends, Hollie, has been waiting and waiting to welcome a baby girl into their family. She has two sweet little boys and now they have a beautiful baby girl thanks to an amazing miracle and a birth mom from out of state.
Baby Jayna is absolutely perfect in every little way (and I mean little- she was only 5 lbs. 5 oz. and she is tiny!) SO excited for their cute little family.
3. Not sure how to begin telling you about this one. My hands are shaking and I am having trouble typing. I keep having to backspace.
Today is the day that I learned I have cancer.
Yep- the ugly "C" word. The word I never in a million years thought I would ever have to experience.
I definitely has a sad and it really sucks!
So here is the story up to now in the shortest version possible.
About a month ago I found a lump (now we know what kind of cancer we're talking about here). I wasn't too concerned about it. Both of my grandmothers have had fibroids removed and that is hereditary so I just assumed that's what we were dealing with.
My doctor suggested I have an ultrasound- so that I did.
Last week I had an ultrasound and they threw in a mammogram just for fun. ;)
Because I am over 30 and I found a lump.
Both the ultrasound and mammogram looked fine other than that one nasty little lump about the size of a large pea.
The doctor doing the ultrasound suggested that I come in for a biopsy so they could get a better idea of what that little lump was made of.
That brings us to Thursday. Went in for the biopsy. Came away feeling great and pretty confident that we were still dealing with a fibroid. They said they would call Friday afternoon with the results.
Now we are to Friday morning about 10 am. I am picking Emma up from ice skating- have all my cute girlies with me and we are getting into the car to head to Costco. My phone rings and the person on the other end- one Dr. O'Neill I believe- says,
"Well, Desirae, we got the results back from your biopsy and I am very sorry to say that it does not look good. There were some cancer cells that showed up."
I'm sorry, "WHAT!?!?!?!?!"
Did you actually just tell me that I have cancer?
That's just not possible I am thinking. There is no history of breast cancer in my family and this thing is just a fibroid.
So what do I do? I say, "Really- wow" and I get in my car and start driving. Except I don't drive to Costco, I go the opposite direction to Mark's work. All I could think of at that moment was that I needed Mark. I needed him to hug me and tell me that everything is going to be fine.
As I am driving she is still talking to me and I am hearing things like
"MRI and Grade 2 Cancer and Surgeon and I'm Sorry and millions of other things."
Why didn't I pull over and write these things down?
Fast forward to today. Right now this is what I know.
I have Breast Cancer- it's not super aggressive but it's not passive either. It's right smack in the middle. I will have to have a Lumpectomy at the very least. I have no idea what other kind of treatment I will have to have yet. I had an MRI on Friday night and I meet with a surgeon on Tuesday to find out what the next few weeks or months of my life is going to involve.
This is what else I know.
I am going to be ok.
I will forever be known as a Breast Cancer Survivor and I will proudly wear that on my back when I run the Race for the Cure next year.
The next few weeks/months are going to suck and not be fun.
My Heavenly Father loves me and is looking out for me. There are many small little miracles that have already taken place to have me here, in this moment, with the right people to take care of me.
I am supposed to learn something from this experience and through this experience I will be able to help others.
I really have the greatest friends and family in the world.
So- that's the scoop! I wish I knew more. The unknown is killing me! I am a planner. I need to plan things and this is not how I like to plan things.
I am planning on updating through my blog- not Facebook. I would rather have people look at my cute blog then check my status updates on Facebook. So if you want to keep tabs on me, you can become a follower on my blog or just check it periodically.
Thank you to everyone for your sweet messages of love- your prayers and your thoughts and your willingness to drop everything and serve me.
I am amazed that already I feel the power of so many prayers on my behalf. It's an incredible feeling and I feel so blessed to have so many awesome people in my life who care so much about me. There are so many people with bigger crosses to bear.
Thank you- I love you- and here's to kicking cancer in the butt!
I adore you, Des! I am here. Let me know if there is anything I can do.
ReplyDeleteAlready praying.
Oh Des I love you and hate that you are having to go thru this. I know that Heavenly father is watching over you and your sweet family and everything will turn out great.
ReplyDeleteDes, I am so sorry! You are an amazing lady and I know you can beat this. I have always admired you and your family. My prayers will be with you and your beautiful family.
ReplyDeleteFor the last 5 years since our wards combined I've watched you and been constantly AMAZED. You are an incredible woman. I can't even imagine what you must be feeling...but I CAN imagine how you will go forward, with dignity and grace. With everything else you've accomplished this will be just one more thing to check off, fighter and survivor. You and your family will be in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteAmber
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet family. You are an amazing woman!!
ReplyDeleteKick it hard, Des! I know you will. You're an amazing lady, my friend.
ReplyDelete#1 No you are not old enough to have a 7th grader. Josh has grown up to fast, but he is the best oldest grandson anyone could ever ask for. Love him to pieces.
ReplyDelete#2 I don't think I will ever forget 8-19-11 either. You with your three little girls and I watching Brittany's little ones and trying to hold my emotions so I didn't fall apart while watching them. I know you will beat this and that you will go on raising you wonderful children along side of Mark. I love you!!!!!!!
Des- I Love You! I am so sorry to hear this is happening to you! Please know that we are here for you!
ReplyDeleteyou are AMAZING!!! I will add my prayers to the many others for sure. {{{hugs}}}
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you have to go through this, but I admire your positive outlook and your testimony. Thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteRachael
DES, you are an amazing and strong women! You are going to show cancer the way to the door! Your in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteBelinda
Replying to your post on my blog..Yes I actually just barley looked a photographers site where she used suitcases like the one I have. SO CUTE! I will definitely do that! It would be cute with babies to! And to comment about your blog..I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around this whole ordeal! It's hard to be far away. I love you so much and am praying for you!
ReplyDeleteDes,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your news. We will have you and Mark in our prayers each day. Let us know what you need from us.
Syd
Maybe I shouldn't have listened to that Martina McBride song while I read your post. But you are amazing. Your faith is so inspiring. I love you, Dez. I just want you to know that I care, and that you will be in my thoughts and my prayers. Hugs and more hugs.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that this is happening. I'm sure it's a scary feeling to hear that word. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteIf anyone can beat it you can! Praying for you and your sweet family.
ReplyDeleteIm so sorry Des :( I will keep you in my prayers. They say a positive fighting attitude is a key in beating cancer, by reading this post I can see that you have it. We will be thinking of you and praying for a quick recovery. <3
ReplyDeleteWe love you Des! You are in our thoughts and prayers!
ReplyDeleteSee why I am going to beat this? AMAZING family and friends! Thank you so much. It really means a lot to me and gives me the courage to face whatever lies ahead. I think this is a record for my blog as far as comments go. It's not sure how to handle all of this traffic! ;)
ReplyDeleteLove you all and thank you so much!
You are already in our prayers. We love you and wish there was more that we can do... Your attitude is amazing. Lots of love,
ReplyDeleteChrisy and Doug (from your wonderful mother-in-law's side of the family)
So when I found out your news my first reaction was Des who... I thought, the only Des I know is my cousin and it couldn't be her. You are one tough lady and you can beat it! We are here for you guys, please let me know if you need anything. Love You!
ReplyDeleteYou are one of the most amazing people I know! I know that you'll beat this. Please know that we love you and we're praying for you and your family. We'll be here to help in any way you need us to.
ReplyDeleteYou go girl! Kick that cancer in the butt! I know you will and that you will keep going and going. You are amazing and so is your cute family. Know that prayers are being said at the Black home. Let us know what we can do
ReplyDeleteYou are strong with a huge support system behind you! And the power your husband holds is stronger than any trial you may face. I know you already know this and have no doubt taken advantage of it. Our prayers are with you and your family.
ReplyDeleteJared
I know how devastating and totally hard to believe that C word is and the first reaction is total denial!! But with prayers, blessings, support, and faith you will face it one day at a time, one decision at a time, and with the Lord's help you can be strong. Just remember to keep relying on the Spirit to prompt you, guide you, and comfort you. You can get thru this and we know you will be stronger at the other end of this tunnel. We love you so much and want to always help any way you need us. Love, hugs, and prayers.
ReplyDeleteDes,
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear this! You are so amazing! You'll definitely fight the good fight, you already are with that attitude! Keep it up.
You are amazing and I'm with you! You will beat this! Our prayers are headed your way!
ReplyDeleteI found your blog through someone elses. You have such a great attitude. I will keep you in my prayers. Your family is adorable. It was fun to catch up.
ReplyDeleteHey Des. Just saw something about a pink hair update on facebook and was like "what?" Clicked over to your blog. Scrolling, scrolling, reading everything in non chronological order. Dang!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear about this, it breaks my heart. Cancer sucks! So glad to hear you sound strong and positive. YOur gonna kick this thing in the you know what, I can already tell.