This past week, I had the awesome opportunity to be up at Girls Camp. I am on the Stake Young Women's Camp Committee and I have to say, I love this calling! It is one of my favorite callings that I have ever had. I love being with the Young Women and I have been so sad to not be with them for the past 3 years. I loved my time serving as YW President before our wards split and now I get the chance to be with them for a whole week during the summer. We had a new Camp Director this year and she did a fabulous job. We had so much fun in our camp and it was fun to get to know the other stake camp leaders better. (Although I think I may have learned too many details about some of them! :)
Now some of the following pictures are pretty gross. We had a "mock disaster" to test the YW's first aid skills. Our camp nurse had a little too much fun creating all of our injuries and I have to say, some of them turned out pretty realistic. So if you get queasy at all, you may not want to look at the pictures. My injury was the coolest one. I had a compound fracture of the tibia (my leg). I was very impressed with the girls who came to rescue me. They had a moment of being freaked out when they lifted the log off my leg and saw a bone sticking out of it, but then they were very professional and took very good care of me. They even carried me halfway down a mountain without dropping me once (although they did come close a couple of times!)
Now some of the following pictures are pretty gross. We had a "mock disaster" to test the YW's first aid skills. Our camp nurse had a little too much fun creating all of our injuries and I have to say, some of them turned out pretty realistic. So if you get queasy at all, you may not want to look at the pictures. My injury was the coolest one. I had a compound fracture of the tibia (my leg). I was very impressed with the girls who came to rescue me. They had a moment of being freaked out when they lifted the log off my leg and saw a bone sticking out of it, but then they were very professional and took very good care of me. They even carried me halfway down a mountain without dropping me once (although they did come close a couple of times!)
Some of our wonderful stake leaders making breakfast
One of our Youth Camp Leaders had another cool injury- a compound break of one of the arm bones (can't remember what it is called). Whatever it was, it looks cool (and painful!) FYI- That is really a chicken bone sticking out.
Ta Da! My broken leg! Mark came up for the Bishopric dinner that same night so I left all the fake stuff on. He thought I had seriously damaged my leg for a few seconds there. Pretty funny. FYI- That is a turkey bone sticking out of my leg. What creativity, right?

I did ruin a perfectly good pair of camping pants, but it was all for a good cause.
I had so much fun this year, I can't wait to start planning for next year's camp. Although I have started a list of must have items for next year- warmer clothes for sleeping!, chapstick, chapstick, chapstick, a weed wacker, and some foam mattresses for the back of Mark's truck. It makes a really great bed, but it's kind of hard. Who needs a tent?

Looks like you had a great time. They are some pretty good mock injuries. Chapstick and handi wipes are a must at girls camp
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a great time! Those girls were lucky to have you :)
ReplyDeleteGreat injuries! I remember when our stake did that and a girl actually went into shock from seeing the "blood and bones"
ReplyDelete