We hugged her and kissed her and noticed that she wasn't looking quite pink enough. In fact, she looked a little grayish-purplish, which is not a good color for a baby. The nurse promptly whisked her away to the nursery for some observation. They fixed me up and took me to my room and I waited, and waited, and waited for some news on my baby. After about 6 hours, the doctor finally came to tell me what was going on. Abbie had pulmonary-hypertension. Which basically means that her heart did not make the switch from pumping inside my body to outside my body. It was still trying to pump to a placenta. So Abbie spent her first 24 hours like this. . .
Because of the lack of oxygen at birth, Abbie's intestines were susceptible to an infection. So long story short, she was in Primary's for 10 days, unable to eat ANYTHING! Poor thing! It broke my heart! But after lots of tests and antibiotics, we came home and fortunately have not had any problems since. So Abbie grew. . .
and grew. . .
(developing a love for sunglasses along the way) and grew. . .
and grew some more. . .until, somehow along the way she grew into a cute,
5 year old, little girl!
How does this happen so quickly? Abbie is a dancer, a singer, independent and strong-willed; a smiler, a frowner, a "sometimes-when-I'm-in-the-mood" hugger and a good big sister. She loves to dress up and she loves her pajamas. She has an excellent memory like her big brother and she is my best helper.Happy Birthday, Abbie-girl! We love you and wouldn't know what to do without you!
(I will post bday celebrations later.)
Oh how I remember that day. When I had found out that little Abbie was having trouble. And returning to your room and have to put on a happy face. It was the hardest thing that I had ever done. But the Lord blessed her and she was brought to you. And in then in the Primary Childrens how hard for parents to have to deal with that. But she was blessed again and here to bless our lives. We love you Abbie and hope you had a great day.
ReplyDeleteOh! I miss her!! Happy Birthday Abbie! She was an adorable baby and an adorable 5 year old!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful 5 year old! What a scary experience her newborn days were! So glad that she looks healthy and strong. What a neat, little family you have, Desirae. Rich and I have fun seeing your posts. Sorry we never got our Christmas card to you. I thought I had emailed you, but in all the business of Christmas and our traveling to Utah, I think I spaced it.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Blabagail! We love you!
ReplyDeleteOkay, so how come I didn't know any of this about Abbie. I am completely out of the loop aren't I. That is pretty sad since we were everything in the loop in high school. I am glad it all worked out and that you had to go through so much trouble. That had to be hard. I also didn't know that Abbie and Katie shared the same birthday. How weird is that?
ReplyDeleteWell, Happy Birthday Abbie!!!