**If you haven't read my previous post about our Christmas adventures, you might want to read that before you read this.**
By Christmas night, Miss Abbie's injured foot was not doing well. It had started bothering her more and she was still having some pain. I had pretty much decided that I was going to take her to the Instacare first thing in the morning before we headed for home.
Then the wind picked up.
By morning, it wasn't just a little wind, it was a howling Arctic blast and I quickly changed my mind about driving in it to get to the Instacare. So we packed up our things and headed into St. George for one last extended family lunch at Chuck-a-Rama.
After lunch, we stopped by Brittany and Josh's church building so that we could be there for Logan to be ordained a Deacon.
Before the ordination, we opened up the nursery and let the little kids play in there with Abbie to oversee things.
After the ordination, we were milling about, taking some pictures when Abbie came up to me and her face was as white as a ghost. She told me that one of her cousins had accidentally stepped on her injured foot and now it felt like there was a little man with a hammer in there, tapping on her bone. (That was what my mom had told her that her own broken bone had felt like.)
I made her sit down and gathered up the rest of our family so that we could start for home. We stopped at a Maverick where I had hoped to by an Ace Bandage and an ice pack, but they didn't have either of those so I settled for a cold bottle of water and some Advil. I gave her the medication, helped her get comfortable, and then we headed for home.
She slept most of the way, but by the time we got home, she was still experiencing a fair amount of pain. We quickly unloaded the van and then I took her over to the Instacare for an x-ray.
The verdict? A broken 5th Metatarsal bone, or something like that.
As to whether the bone was broken when she originally hurt it or when he cousin stepped on it, we will never know. But for now, she gets to wear a gigantic, black boot on her foot for the next 5 weeks. After seeing an orthopedic surgeon, we learned that she will not need surgery, which is good news. And, she also does not need a cast, the boot will do the job.
It has been quite the adventure for this little trooper. I can't believe that she hobbled around on a semi-broken or maybe completely broken foot for almost a week. She is one tough cookie for sure.

Oh man, poor Abbie! We had something similar with Drew last year. He fractured his foot at soccer practice, but we didn't know it was fractured, and he hobbled around on it for 9 days, and actually played 2 soccer games with it! Oops. I hope she heals quickly!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Rachael! I am glad to hear that there are other parents out there who have made their child hobble around on a broken foot. :) She has been healing quite nicely. I am very thankful that we have the boot and not a cast...
Delete