After much deliberation, I have decided that I want to continue my Article of Faith series on this blog instead of the website. As I mentioned, this blog is for my family. It's a journal, a scrapbook, and also a way for me to share and leave my testimony for future generations of my family to read. Therefore, I feel like I should complete the Articles of Faith here.
So, on to #3!
![]() |
| image courtesy of www.itsalwaysautumn.com |
I have had notes on this Article of Faith sitting in my notebook for quite some time now. My feelings about the Atonement of our Savior are hard to put into words sometimes. It means so much to me, on many different levels.
I think the best way to do this is to break it down a little bit.
"We believe that through the Atonement of Christ all mankind may be saved..."
The definition of the word "atonement" includes word like, "propitiation" (the act of making well), "reconciled" (make one account consistent with another), and "reparation" (the action of repairing something). All of these words are wonderful definitions of the word, and really help us to see what a wonderful thing the atonement can be for us.
One of the best definitions can be found in the bible. In 1 John 2:1 we read,
"My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. But if any man sin and repent, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." The part that is italicized is the Joseph Smith translation of that scripture. Joseph Smith was blessed to be able to restore precious parts to the Bible that had been lost over the years. These restored parts always add so much to the scriptures. I am grateful for this blessing that we have of the Joseph Smith translation.
![]() |
| image courtesy of www.lds.org |
Jesus Christ is our advocate with the Father.
Through him, we can be made whole again.
The atonement not only encompasses righting our wrongs, it is also meant for us to use in times when we are experiencing pains and sickness. When we turn our burdens over to the Savior, we can more clearly feel His love.
In Alma 7:11 we read,
"And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people."
Our Savior is there to help us bear our burdens. Whether that burden be sin, sickness, sorrow, or pain, He is there. He is waiting to help us carry our loads. I don't know about you, but oftentimes I feel like I have to be a martyr. I feel like I can do things all by myself. I am always amazed at how fulfilling it is when I actually include my Savior in helping me overcome hard things. I always feel like, "Why don't I just do this from the very beginning? Why do I feel the need to suffer so much before I turn to Him?"
It's human nature, I suppose. The great thing is, our Savior know this. He knows that we will sometimes fumble about in confusion before turning to Him. But He is always there, waiting. He will never turn His back on us, even though we often turn our backs to Him.
"...through obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel."
Our Savior has asked us to follow Him.
He has asked us to keep His commandments.
He has also provided a way for us to repent when we lose our way and break those commandments.
I will close with one last scripture. This one is found in 1 John 1:7
"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin."
He is there.
He is the light of the world.
He is waiting to ease the burdens placed upon our shoulders.
We just need to ask Him and then be prepared to serve Him with all our might, mind, and strength.



No comments:
Post a Comment