A couple of Sundays ago, I introduced my kiddos to one of the best movies ever made.
If you have not ever seen Pollyanna...what are you waiting for?
And if it's been a while since you have seen it....again, what are you waiting for?
Such a great movie with a beautiful message.
Quick synopsis...
Pollyanna is an orphan who goes to live with her very wealthy aunt who lives in a town filled with unhappy people. Pollyanna brings joy, love, and laughter to this town by just being who she is~
a kind-hearted, happy little girl. Without even realizing it, she transforms the people in this town and they start to see that life is a time to be happy and to celebrate living.
a kind-hearted, happy little girl. Without even realizing it, she transforms the people in this town and they start to see that life is a time to be happy and to celebrate living.
I love it.
Especially the scene when Pollyanna is at the town bazaar and she is eating this giant piece of cake.
I always want cake after watching this movie....and corn on the cob....and a big, cold piece of watermelon.
While we were watching the movie, I did something that I don't think I have ever done before while watching it.
I cried.
It touched my heart in a way that it hasn't before.
Maybe it's because of the events that have taken place in my life and I have gained a greater appreciation for the power of happiness in my life. Maybe it was a bit of nostalgia for my childhood. Whatever the reason, I came away feeling enlightened and well, happy.:)
There is a scene in which Pollyanna is talking with the town's Reverend. He is preparing his Sunday sermon, which typically is a lot of "hellfire and damnation". Not much happiness being preached.
I love what Pollyanna says to him, which is something her father used to say.
(I can't remember the exact words, but it went something like this)
"There are over 800 happy texts in the Bible. If God took the trouble to tell us over 800 times to be happy, He must want us to do it!"
How true that is.
God wants us to be happy.
Even during the darkest times of our lives.
The key is looking through the darkness and into the light.
To play "The Glad Game"
To find the good in people and situations, because there is always something good to be found.
I am not saying that finding happiness is always an easy thing to do.
Sometimes it is really, really hard- near impossible.
But it can be done.
I leave this post with a few of the "happy texts" that I found in the scriptures today.
Psalms 146:5
"Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the Lord his God."
John 16:33
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."
James 5:11
"Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy."
Mosiah 2:41
"And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it."
Psalms 100:2
"Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing."
I hope that we can all find the good in every situation we are faced with.
That we can enjoy the life that God has given us, and help each other through the difficult times.



No comments:
Post a Comment