Monday, January 27, 2014

Putting Out the Fire

I have always been amazed at how quickly news can spread- like a raging wildfire that starts by one small little spark.  Especially in this day and age with all the social media available and texting.  You tell one person something and suddenly everyone knows it, or some version of it.  :)  

I found out that the "cat's been let out of the bag" so to speak.  Our family has been discussing a very important issue over the past few months, and now that we have done all of our fact checking, praying, fasting, pondering, pro's and con's lists, and discussing- I can let you in on a very cool little secret.  (Not that it was ever really a hush hush kind of thing, we just wanted to get all our ducks in a row before we talked about it.)

We are going to take a huge leap of faith and try out an online charter school for the next school year.  
This is quite different than the rumor that we will be "homeschooling".  Yes, my kids (the girls at least) will be doing their school work from home.  So I guess the term "homeschool" is sort of accurate.  But our hope is that they will be able to get into the Utah Virtual Academy Public Charter School.  
This Academy uses the K12 Curriculum.

  Maybe you have heard of them.  I am very impressed and I have been researching this online schooling stuff since Josh went into the 6th grade.  This is not just a haphazard sort of decision.  This is years in the making.

It is a decision that truly and honestly, I NEVER thought I would ever make.
Like cancer- I never thought that I would actually speak the words "homeschool" in regards to my family.  I really enjoy my quiet time during the day.  I've got to be crazy to give that up, right?
There is also one other thing that has made this decision one of the hardest decisions of my life.

I love my kids' schools.
Particularly our elementary school.
How could I not love a school that does this for me at a time when I needed love and support?
I have volunteered a lot of hours at this wonderful place.  I have made a lot of friends who are dear to my heart.  My kids have received a top-notch education there and I know that when I send them there, they are being surrounded by people who love them.
So why in the world would I ever want to leave such an amazing school you might ask?

Here are some of the reasons we have come to this crossroads:

1.  More Flexibility in our Schedule
 This decision came about because we wanted to have more options in our schedule.
Josh is planning on majoring in music.  That means that right now, as a 9th grader, he has to practice a minimum of 3 hours per day.  That number will only increase as he gets closer to college.  I don't see him changing his mind on this major either.  Music is his passion.  He lives and breathes it and I intend to do everything I can to help him realize his dreams. 
At the present time, I have to check Abbie out of school every Wednesday so that we can go to her violin lesson which coincides with Josh's cello lesson.  I really don't like having to do that.  I know it's not a huge deal and her grades are not suffering.  But it still disrupts the class every week, and it creates a little stress in her life when she misses instruction time from her teacher.
I also like the fact that with the online charter school, my kids can still put in a full day of school when they are a little under the weather.  You know how it is with kids.  Sometimes the only symptom they have is a slight fever or a little tummy ache and it's the whole debate of "Should I or shouldn't I" send them to school.  If I send them, they will probably be ok, but they are spreading germs.  If I keep them home then they are missing out on instruction time, assignments and have to get caught up when they get back.  This has not been too big of a deal in elementary school, but at the Junior High, missing a day or two can be detrimental to one's GPA.  I have sent Josh to school when he probably should have stayed home because he just can't miss school. Between the attendance policy and the fact that sometimes he can't make up the work when he has missed out on participation points, it's just easier to send him...even when he is spreading sick germs.  I really hate that.
I am also looking forward to taking a vacation when we want to take a vacation and not have to worry about scheduling it around the school's calendar.

2.  Advanced Learner Program
It's been called a lot of things
The "Gifted and Talented" Program
The "Magnet" Program
"Advanced Learning"
Whatever you call it, it's a good thing for kids who need a little more of a challenge.  When Josh was in 2nd grade, he qualified for our district's program, but it is only taught in one school in the district and

a.)  we loved our school and did not want to switch
b.)  they didn't have room in the program, even though he qualified

He did just fine through elementary school and has done well in Junior High as well, but he is definitely not being challenged as much as he would like.  He is currently doing the same things in math that he did last year.  Both Honors classes, but not learning anything new.  A bit frustrating for him and for his parents.  I feel like this year of math for him is a whole school year wasted.  Maybe that is harsh to say, (and let me interject that I do not blame his teacher in any way, shape, or form.  She is fantastic.) but this is one of the problems that I, personally, sees in the Common Core Curriculum.  Not a lot of options for Advanced Learners.  My girls have not taken an actual test to determine if they qualify for Advanced Learning programs, but after years of straight A's and excellent parent teacher conferences, I have a feeling that they would definitely benefit from a little more challenge as well.
K12 gives us the option to customize our kids education.  If they are ready for something a bit more challenging, it's readily available.

Those are the two main factors.  There are other bonuses as well.

*Once we have done the work for the day, it's done.  No homework.  Instead of a 7 hour school day plus homework, we will be able to do the work in about 5.5 (on average).  I could even customize our schedule to a 4-day school week if I wanted to.  Who doesn't love an extra weekend day?
*My elementary kids have the option to learn another language if we choose, which is kind of cool.
*Our PE can consist of hiking, swimming, bike riding, skiing.  Lots of options.
*Utah Virtual Academy has monthly outings from one end of the state to the other.  This gives the kids opportunities to meet and hang out with the other kids in their grade, doing super fun things like ice skating, bowling, or going to museums and movies.

I could go on, but I won't.
Bottom line is this:
This is what we feel is the best option for our family.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with any teacher, faculty member, student, parent, or anyone else in our school district.  I feel like I need to say this because I know and love so many wonderful people in this district and that last thing I ever want to do is hurt them.

I feel like I should also mention that this is not set is stone.  Since Utah Virtual Academy is a charter school, they have limited enrollment.  There is a good chance that we may not even make the cut.  I would be hugely disappointed and hope that is not the case, but this is not a done deal yet.

I am sure there are probably a lot of people who think we are crazy and wondering what in the world my chemo-riddled brain is thinking, but we are excited for this new adventure.
It will definitely be an adjustment and I am sure there will be days that I will want to second guess our decision, but we will see.  Sometimes you just have to let go and enjoy the roller coaster ride.


PS.  Just for the record, I am happy to talk about this in person with anyone who wants to know more.  There is no need to avoid the subject when you see me.  That way the information can be accurate and not second, third, or fourth hand.  :)


2 comments: