Sunday, December 15, 2013

I Believe- 9

Today's post is prompted by an experience I had at church today.
I was given the opportunity to expound upon a comment I had made in a class a couple of weeks ago.  A comment about "marinating" my children in good things.
Let me explain.

A few years ago while at a Time Out for Women, I listened to a talk by John Bytheway.  He has since written a book about that talk.  It's called "The Parable of the Marinade:  A Recipe for a Delicious Life."
In it he says this,
"Just as soaking chicken in a marinade before a barbecue can increase its flavor, 'marinating' in great music, positive feelings, good literature, and uplifting company can enrich a person's life.  Whether we realize it or not, we are all marinating in something.  You will eventually become what you surround yourself with.  If the proverb is true... 'He who walketh with the wise men shall be wise' (Proverbs 13:20), wouldn't we want to surround ourselves with the very best in friends, music, media, and so forth?"

This idea of "marinating in good things" really struck home with me.  The thought occurred to me, that not only do I need to make sure I am surrounding myself with good things, but more importantly, I need to make sure that my children are surrounded with good things as well.  
They are going to need deep spiritual roots to withstand the storms in this life. 
 Was I doing all that I could as their mother to help them deepen these spiritual roots?  
Was I teaching them how to recognize the Spirit in their lives? 
 Was I helping them understand why we believe the things that we do?
I think the answer to these questions is yes, I was doing ok, but I could do better.

I have made this a matter of prayer and serious reflection to know what would be best for my children.  What would work for our family.  Here are some of the things that we have tried...

1.  Setting aside time every night to read in the Book of Mormon as a family.  Even if each person only reads one verse.  We are not perfect at it, but just by making a conscious effort to do this every day has made a huge difference in the amount of time we are spending with the Book of Mormon.

2.  I have always had pictures of the Savior, temples, our prophets, etc, in prominent places in our home.  If my kids can see these things on a daily basis, then it reminds them of the discussions we have had and the goals that they have set for themselves.  It also serves as a reminder for me to talk to them about these things.  As we talk about the Savior's life and His teachings, they are able to ask questions and have their testimonies strengthened.

3.  It is no secret that we are a TV type of family.  We love our TV time and movies.  It's a way to unwind from a stressful day or to spend time together.  Over the past few months, however, I have found myself caring less and less about watching TV.  Where I used to just have it on for background noise, I now just have music, or nothing at all.  In an effort to help my family eliminate this distraction that takes up so much of our time, I have instituted a few TV rules.  There is no TV until homework, practicing, and chores are done...by everyone.  After those are done, and if there is still time before dinner and bedtime, they can watch one episode of a show.  Again, this is not a perfect system and there are still times when the TV is on way too long at our house.  But we are slowly getting better and finding more time to other activities together.
4.  We spend so much of our day in the car driving from school to lessons to home and everywhere else.  Sometimes I feel like I spend more time in my car than I do in my bed.  With so much time spent in the car, I have tried to use a lot of that time to "marinate in good things".  I found some CD's that have different scriptures set to music to help you memorize them.  Yes, they are kind of cheesy...but I like 'em.  I have also been known to just turn the radio off and play 20 questions.  I ask them stuff and they ask me stuff.  We have learned a lot about each other through these car conversations.

I think the biggest piece of advice I have in how to "marinate in good things" is to make it a matter of prayer for yourself.  Ask Heavenly Father what would work for you and your family and then do it!  That's the biggest thing.  You have to do it.  I have had a lot of times where I have thought about doing something and then months go by without doing anything.  Then the Spirit nudges me again.  When I actually do the things that I have thought about, I see the changes in our lives.  We will never be perfect here in this life.  We will go through times when we are doing really good and times that are not so good.  As long as we are striving every day to be a little better, things will be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment