Saturday, November 2, 2013

Halloween 2013

Another fun and crazy Halloween has come and gone.  It's hard to believe that we are already in the month of November!  I feel like time is just flying by so fast and I am trying to hold on for dear life.

If you know me, maybe you know the fact that I am NOT a pumpkin carving type of mom.  We seriously have only carved pumpkins about every other year because I just dislike it so much.  The whole cleaning out the pumpkin process is such a goopy, stinky mess and I really do not like it.  Well, I found something this year that has rocked my pumpkin carving world.
Found it at Williams Sonoma...then I saw it at the grocery store, of course.  But fortunately for me it was actually cheaper at Williams Sonoma because they had it on sale.  I don't know who invented it, but my kids thank them very much.  This has changed my attitude about pumpkin carving and we will probably actually do it every year now. They are thrilled.
I was so happy about our new toy that I even brought out the paint and we got crazy. :)

Halloween morning was crazy as usual.  Trying to get everyone in their costumes is always a whirlwind of fun.  I also still had preschool that morning so I was trying to get in my costume as well.
We managed to get everybody ready and out the door on time.
I had to miss the Halloween parade and parties at school because I was having my own preschool celebrations, but from what the girls tell me, it was a success.
The kids had a half day of school, which is always nice when that falls on Halloween.  This was extra nice because then Josh and Emma were home to help me get ready for the parties that we were hosting that night.  Boys partied downstairs....girls partied upstairs.
Before the parties, we made the usual Trick-or-Treating rounds which includes a stop at each of the Grandma's houses and our neighborhood Trunk or Treat.
Bailey even got in on the costume action with her cute cheerleader outfit.  Lol.  I can't believe she actually kept it on as long as she did.  We stopped at the Ogden's first and after I took a picture or the kids with Grandma and Grandpa, Grandma offered to take one of me with the kids.  It took a couple of tries with my fancy camera that she wasn't used to, but we got a great picture in the end.  Thanks Grandma!  :)

Once we got all candied up, we headed back home to get ready for the festivities to begin.  Josh and Emma are both at the age where they want to hang out with friends, so we thought that hosting a Halloween celebration would be a lot of fun.  We had some soup and breadsticks, brain jello and some super creepy drinks and treats.  I was exhausted, but it was so much fun.
As I mentioned before, the girls partied upstairs and the boys partied downstairs.  The girls choice of scary Halloween fun?  Watching a Disney classic, "Watcher in the Woods"  Love that show.  It was fun to see it again.  After the movie was over, it was a little Just Dance party.  That's when the crazies started.  The boys spent the evening playing the Play Station and watching Poltergeist.
We partied until 10:30 and then everyone was ready to crash.

Here are the costumes close up!
Abbie the hippie, Ellie the red fairy, and Emma and her friend, Jennavry, went as PB & J.  They made their own costumes and I thought they did an amazing job!
I did not get an individual picture of Josh.  He was only in his costume long enough to go to Grandma's houses.  I did get a picture of Mark in his costume though.
Yep...this is one of two costumes that he wears.  The other one is an orange shirt that says, "This is My Costume."  Such a party pooper, but I love him anyway. :)

The sugar high has finally receded, but poor little Abbie learned a very valuable lesson.  On Friday night about 11 pm, she came into our room and I was abruptly pulled out of dream land by her complaining that she did not feel good.  In my groggy state, I was trying to determine how bad the situation was.  Just as I was asking her if she needed to throw up, she slapped her hand to her mouth and ran for the bathroom.  Not before some of the contents of her stomach landed on my carpet though.  Great...looks like she has some good old Red 40 food dye in there.  I stumbled to the bathroom and had to really concentrate so I didn't join in the puke fest.  It looked like a scene from the Exorcist in there!  Red 40 food dye and other stomach contents everywhere!  On the walls, the floor, the tub, the toilet...smeared all over poor little Abbie's face.  I apologize for the grossness of this little paragraph, but I wanted to include this part of our Halloween so that I can share it with Abbie for years to come. ;)  
The lesson that Abbie learned?  You can't eat half of your Halloween candy in one day without suffering major consequences.  Good news is, she did not touch one piece of candy on Saturday and I don't think she will for a while.

Now it's on to Thanksgiving and I can't wait.  I LOVE Thanksgiving.  All that food and family...what could be better?



No comments:

Post a Comment