I have been toying with the idea of writing a blog post on this subject for a while and I have struggled with thinking of the right words to say. It can be a tricky subject and I definitely don't want to come across as being preachy or have people get the idea that I think I am an expert on this subject because I definitely am not. But I really feel like I need to share my feelings on the subject of Judging Others...maybe it's because I need to learn a lesson or two myself.
I chose the title "Looking Through Windows" for two reasons.
1. There is a great Mormon Message with the same title that was taken from an equally great talk given by our prophet, President Thomas S. Monson.
2. The talk "Charity Never Faileth" given by President Monson. Found here.
First, let me share the Mormon Message with you.
Definitely one of my favorite messages. Very well done.
Now my thoughts on the subject.
Do you know what I find very frustrating? I hate that as humans, our first inclination is usually to pick apart someone that we know or don't know. How many times do we look at people and judge them by what they are wearing, what they are doing, what they are saying, or how they are parenting? I, for one am guilty of all of the above. It is something that I have been paying particularly close attention to in my own life and have been trying to refrain from.
I think that women in particular really struggle with this and I am not quite sure how to fix this ugly problem. It is something that has gone on probably since the beginning of time and unfortunately will continue to happen. As I have given a lot of thought to this, another talk and quote came to my mind.
It was given by Sister Sheri Dew (whom I met once) and the talk is entitled "Stand Tall and Stand Together"
Here is the quote.
"Imagine what would happen in this Church if every morning 4.5 million of us got on our knees and asked our Father who He needed us to reach out to that day. And then imagine if we did it! Imagine if we consecrated our energy and our focus en masse to the greatest service of all, that of leading our sisters and brothers to Christ. Imagine what will happen when we mobilize the sisters of Relief Society to stand together to help build the kingdom. We will see the awakening and arising of a sleeping,slouching giant."
Can you imagine?
What would it be like if every morning the good women of this world (and I am not just talking about members of the church here. I know and love so many extraordinary women who are not members or not active and they are AWESOME!) got down on their knees and asked Heavenly Father or God or Allah or whomever you pray to...who He needs us to reach out to?
What would happen if instead of thinking, "I can't believe she chose to wear that!" or "I can't believe she thinks it's ok for her kids to do that!", we thought,
"She is a beautiful person" or
"Look at how much she loves her kids"
Miracles would happen, that's what.
We would be more inclined to help one another and love one another and love generates miracles in people's lives. Love lifts burdens. We would be less selfish and more like our Savior. We would not hold on to petty hurt feelings, letting them fester and grow into ugliness. We would be able to forgive and move on when someone or something offends us. We would be able to see that every one of us is struggling. Every one of us has burdens to bear and insecurities and imperfections.
Every one of us is riding the roller coaster of life and just trying to hang on for dear life.
I just have 2 more quotes to share.
NO ONE here on earth is perfect.
We all make mistakes. We all do dumb things.
It is my hope that we can all be more patient with one another and help one another as we strive to be better.
I can only speak for myself, but my goal is to stop looking through my filthy, dirty windows at those around me and to start looking at the beauty that surrounds me instead.


Love this!
ReplyDeleteSay true, love the reminder!!!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I should also mention that the times I've regretted telling someone off outnumber the times I didn't regret it. So this post is very true and valid.
ReplyDeletebeautiful. thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete❤❤❤
ReplyDeleteMy mind is constantly thinking about this!! I try really hard to fight those judging thoughts but unfortunately it comes with being human but we can choose whether to act on the thoughts or quickly push them away! Along with judging others in constintly trying to focus on not speaking negative of others. It's sad how much we really do need to focus on it. Thanks for sharing!!
ReplyDelete