Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Tuesday Traditions 6

For this post, I wanted to talk about something that, unfortunately, has become somewhat of a "tradition" in our lives over the past 16 months and that is, mommy having surgery.
Tomorrow I go in for what will (hopefully) be my last major surgery for a while.  This will mark the end of my journey in a way, although there will be checkups, medication, and minor surgeries for years to come.  Whew...we're almost there!

This surgery will be my hysterectomy.  Which I am looking forward to in many ways.  But the most important reason is that I won't have that constant thought in the back of my mind, "What if the cancer has come back there?"  Just to refresh memories, my cancer is estrogen postive.  That means that my cancer needs estrogen to grow.  So as long as I have estrogen in my body, my risk of getting cancer again is increased.  So, we are saying Ba-bye to estrogen.  No ovaries, no hormone replacement therapy, nothing.  I am not looking forward to yet another surgery, another bout with anesthesia, another 6 weeks of taking it easy.  I am, however, looking forward to no more periods.  :)
It's kind of hard for me to say that this will be the end of this journey.  It has been such a major focus of our lives for the past year and a half.  Plus, as I mentioned before, there will still be little things in the months and years to come to take care of and remind me that I am a cancer survivor.  So instead of closing the book, so to speak, I am just going to start a new chapter.  That last chapter was l-o-n-g and a bugger to get through, but we managed.  I learned so many things in that chapter that I hope I never forget as I forge ahead into the next chapter of my life.

I am hoping that tomorrow's date will bring me good luck. (12-12-12)
It will be a day to remember for sure.

1 comment:

  1. Our prayers are there for you, always have been and will continue, we will be there in thought. It has been a long journey for you and we feel so blessed to be your parents. We love you and wish you the best with the surgery and recovery and we will see you on Christmas.
    Hugs and kisses to you and you sweet family!!!!

    ReplyDelete