Thursday, June 28, 2012

Thankful Thursday 5

For today's Thankful Thursday post, I am thankful for the little boy who made me a mother 13 years ago today.  I am having a hard time believing that I am now the mother of a teenager.  I am not that old and how did this cute little munchkin turn into a big teenage boy who is taller than his mother?

A few things about Josh...
*He was very excited to start middle school this past school year.  He did very well once he learned the hard lesson of turning in his (completed) homework on time.  He got a 4.0 last term. :)
*He loves playing the cello.  I love watching him play the cello and listening to the beautiful music he makes.  He really enjoys listening to the Piano Guys.  If you haven't heard any of their stuff, you should check them out.  They are amazing.
*He loves to read and can remember pretty much anything he reads.  Some of his favorite books?  The Ranger's Apprentice series, anything written by Rick Riordan, and the Hunger Games series.
*He received his Patriarchal Blessing this year and it was a really amazing experience.  Lots of great things in store for this young man. (If you are unsure of what this blessing is, you can click on it to be directed to the definition on LDS.org)
*He loves to cook.  Especially when he can cook something that he can throw a bunch of fresh herbs in.  He is a pretty good cook too which has come in handy a couple of times when I just don't want to fix dinner. ;)  His favorite food right now is steak.
*He really enjoys Scouts and has a goal to get his Eagle by the time he is 14.  I think he's going to make it.
*We have been working on some volleyball skills this summer and he is getting really good.  I wish there were more opportunities around us for boys to play volleyball.  I think he would really enjoy playing on a team.
So that's my Josh in a nutshell.  He is a great kid and I am really proud of him.  He makes good choices (except when he chooses to tease his sisters) and I am excited to have him start this next stage in his life.

One other thing I want to mention on this Thankful Thursday and that is how much I am thankful for good Scout leaders.  Josh is at scout camp this week.  It is really weird to not be with him on his birthday.  This is the first birthday that I have not been with him.  I am okay with that though because he is having so much fun.  He was very excited to go.

Josh has been blessed with excellent scout leaders in his life.  I just want to give a shout out to them and tell them THANK YOU for all of your work to make Scouts successful.  Thank you for sacrificing time with your family, for taking time off work (paid and unpaid), and for truly caring about my son and the other boys.  I really appreciate the work that you do.  Josh is successful in scouts because of all of you.
Thank you.

I will close this Thankful Thursday post with a big
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my Joshua Squashua.
I miss you today and wish I could be there to give you a big birthday hug.


2 comments:

  1. Oh happy birthday to my oldest and most wisest grandchild. I cannot believe he is that old. I remember the day he was born. That started a new stage in our lives. It was a little scary at first thinking I was a grandma, but I would not change that for the world now. I have grown quite accustemed to the grandma thing.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOSH THE YOUNGER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how his smile is exactly the same in the two pictures of him. Happy Birthday Josh! Thanks for being such an awesome example for my crazy boys!!

    ReplyDelete