Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Good News, One More Down & a Golden Anniversary

Well, I made it.
Was totally dreading it, but I made it through.
One more chemo treatment down- 3 more to go.
And then I will be chemo free!!!!!!
As you exit the chemo room, there is a bell hanging on the wall.
You get to ring that bell when you have your last chemo treatment and
I....can't....wait!
February 1st better get here fast.

I know everyone is dying to know the PET scan results- as was I.
Good news folks! The doctor said that the 2nd scan was very much improved. Not much left at all and it still hasn't spread anywhere else.
(If you could see me right now, I'd be doin' a little happy dance)
So as much as it pains me to say it...Thank you Mr. Red Devil for killing most of those little buggers. Just don't let the door hit you on the way out! Ba-bye!
And welcome to Mr. Taxotere. If you treat me nicely while you kill the rest of the cancer bugs, I will make sure you are treated nicely on the way out the door too. :)

Huge, huge, sigh of relief.
I am definitely winning this battle.
It has already been long and will go on for much longer, but I am winning and that's all that matters.

Now on a REALLY happy note.
Wanted to share a little story about 2 amazing people in my life.
Let's call one- Norm and the other one- Karen.
Norm asked Karen a little over 50 years ago if "she wanted to go waste some gas".
Karen said yes and the rest is history.....50 years worth of history to be exact.
Norm fell in love with Karen for many reasons- the best one being that she made a really good loaf of bread (ha ha she will know what I mean). Her bread making has improved by leaps and bounds and today she makes amazing bread.
Karen fell in love for many reasons as well. But she really loved how well he could do an up-do. He was one fancy hair stylist back in the day.


Now they have been together for 50 years- had 6 children- and now have 21 grand kids, 2 grand-sons-in-law, and lots and lots of people who love them and think they are simply wonderful.

They had a family party last week to celebrate and I wanted to share a few things from the night.

Photobucket

The party was a smashing success. Yummy food, surrounded by all of the people Norm and Karen love the most. It was a fantastic night and we put together a great little program as well. I will upload 3 videos.

1st video-
I had the privilege of singing a song to the 2 love birds so the first video is just my song. (Sorry the music volume is a little low. Singing in the church cultural hall presents a few problems :) I also noticed that I didn't edit very well. It goes on a little bit after I sing. You can just stop it when the song is done.



2nd Video- This is just clips from stuff that happened at the party- Julie reading a poem, Dan giving a tribute and Karen saying a few words. (I am posting this for the family members who were not able to be there, but anyone who wants to is welcome to watch it. :)


3rd Video- This is a video Mark and I put together to showcase what the past 50 years have brought to Norm and Karen's lives. Pretty fun to watch and see styles come and go.


Happy Anniversary to our Mom and Dad! We love you so much! Thank you for all that you do.



15 comments:

  1. Yeah! So glad to hear good news. And the song, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT news! I am SO glad!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT news! Keep kicking it in the trash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!!!! Des, I am so thrilled for you! My fam and I are wishing you all the best and you are always in our prayers.
    Thank you for the super cute Christmas card, too! I was so happy to get that Monday morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. DES- I just read your entire blog and I want to thank you for sharing your amazing journey! My mom was diagnosed with Leukemia when I was 7 years old. She kept a journal (the blog of the 80's) of her experiences! Its so wonderful to look back at that journal and know all of the things she went through, and I applaud you for doing the same! You are such an inspiration! I'm so glad you got good news today! You and your sweet family are in our prayers! Love, The Waltons

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good news is so wonderful. I loved seeing that video of Karen and Norm! Oh, how I miss them. Tell them Kurtis and I said congratulations of 50 years together! What a beautiful family tree they've grown. You're song was beautiful, and I am glad your cancer journey is nearing its end. So much to be thankful for! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so grateful for good news! And the song was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WoW--so glad to hear everything is going as planned. Keep climbing, I'm sure the view will be beautiful at the top :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for putting those videos on there Mark and I loved watching them! It meant a lo to be able to see that, we where sad to miss it! Mark had never heard you sing before and told me to tell you and I quote, "Mad props on your awesome singing voice." Also congrats on the good news we love you so much Des your amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great news! You are a fighter and you have lots of support in the wings. We're praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for the good news! Thanks for posting about the 50th party. I love my Aunt Karen and Uncle Norm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy to hear good news! You are a fighter! I also loved seeing the pics & video of Norm & Karen's celebration! Thank you for sharing. They are very special to Rick & I.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woo-hoo!! I'm so glad that horrible medicine worked! We're doing a happy dance over here too! Thanks for posting the videos from the party - they were fun to watch again! You did such an amazing job with the video and singing, they really made the night special. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm So SO SO SO happy to hear that the Chemo is doing it's job!!! You are beautiful sister! Love watching and listening to you sing! Can't wait to see you at Christmas time!!!

    ReplyDelete