Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Night to Remember

What an interesting day I had yesterday.
I taught preschool for about a 1/2 hour then turned it over to my sweet neighbor and friend, Jenn, to finish it up for me.
Then it was off to Chemo treatment #2. I have decided that I am splitting the chemo treatments so that means I am halfway through with this nasty stuff. Only 2 more to go! Hooray!

You have already read about my "hair pulling" experience so now I will move on to the party of the night....
"Playing with Mommy's hair"

Photobucket
 

Everyone was ready to go...even Mei Mei joined in on the fun.
But Ellie, however, chose not to join us. That was the part that broke my heart. She came out of her room with a blanket over her head and when I told her to come out with us, she ran into her bedroom and slammed the door. There were immediate tears on her part and mine. I tried to go in and talk to her, but there was no budging. She did not want to participate at all. So I shed a few more tears and then sucked it up so we could get this over with.


Photobucket
 

The kids did a great job of shaving my head. We decided to not do the fun things that we had planned- a mohawk, old man's hair. My hair was just so dead that it did not want to participate in any of those fun things. So we did the best we could. And shed a few more tears.

Photobucket
 

Before we knew it, the pile had been made. I now join the ranks of those who have no hair. I still have a little stubble for now which may or may not fall out. We will see. As you can see by our red faces- it was an emotional night, but I am so thankful that I could share this moment with the ones I love most. I wouldn't have had it any other way. The girls each saved a few pieces of my hair- some brown and some pink.
Then I threw the rest in the garbage.


Photobucket
 

I had been teasing Josh for a few weeks now, asking him if he would shave his head with me. He loves his longer, shaggy hair and kind of laughed off the suggestion. He was in no way going to participate. But when he could see how emotional I was about doing my own hair, this sweet boy of mine said, "Mom, let's give me a buzz cut." So off we went with the clippers. Didn't take him as short as me, but I so love this boy. He takes such good care of me and I love him for his sweet attitude and for the way he treats me. I am a very lucky mother.

Photobucket
 

Then it was my cute hubby's turn. Can I just tell you again how much I love this wonderful man? I in no way expected him to shave his head with me, but he did it because he loves me and wants to help me in any way that he can. And ya know what? I like the new look on him, a lot. We had his mom come over to even things out a bit. Mine does not need to be blended, but his does.
Photobucket
 

So- here we all are. Together with no hair. I even received this picture of my cute dad today. He wanted to do something to help. He knew that last night was tough for us and he wanted to help, so he went to his hair cutting place and long story short, he came out with no hair. Love ya Dad! That means so much to me and I thank you for your love and support.

Photobucket

Just a couple more cute "no hair" pictures. This is me and my beautiful Aunt Cheri. She is my inspiration. She was diagnosed with uterine and lung cancer back in May (I think). She started some very aggressive rounds of chemo. She finished that chemo about a month ago- had a scan this past week and is in remission! Oh and she also just ran the St. George Marathon a couple of weekends ago. Ok, it was more like jogging but she finished it. I want to follow in her footsteps. (Except for the marathon part- I am NOT a runner). I can't wait until I get that paper that says, "You are in remission", and it will happen.

So as hard as this night was for me, I still feel so very blessed.
Shaving my head has made it real for everyone around me.
I now look like a cancer patient and some days, I feel like a cancer patient.
*But I am still Des.
*I am still a mom of 4 amazing and beautiful children.
*I am still a daughter of a loving Father in Heaven who has allowed many guardian angels to be with me through this process.
*I am still a wife of one amazing husband and best friend.
*I am still the daughter of two amazing earthly parents who have taught me to choose the right, to never give up, and to trust in my Father in Heaven when the going gets tough.
*I am still me with this little thing called cancer.
And soon, I will be free of the cancer and I can be just me again
and that will be a beautiful day.


*Just a little note- Ellie is fine with my hair now. By bedtime last night she was able to look at me with no hair and today she has even rubbed my head. Thank goodness.



16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Des, YOU are one amazing and beautiful woman!! love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine how hard that must have been on you. You are so beautiful and have handled every challenge with such strength and grace. I am constantly in awe of your determination to be positive. We love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing the tears in Emma's eyes touched me so much. You all are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again you have me bawling! You look absolutely beautiful with and more so without hair! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree that you are beautiful with or without hair. You are an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome Family I love all of you. Des you are beautiful. You are my beautiful (I can't really say bald cuz your not) short hair baby. Love ya so much!!!!! And my poor sweet little Emma she is so tender hearted. And that awesome grandson that I have. I know how much he liked his hair and to do that for his mom is awesome. Mark and your Dad are pretty awesome as well. What can I say but you have an awesome family. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you realize how much you inspire others by your positive outlook on difficult situations and your strong testimony. I have to echo what everyone else has said... You are beautiful! You have always been such a loving, good person. Our thought and prayers are with you and your amazing family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are beautiful! Your hair is gone, but your beauty remains. Which goes to show that hair is just a trivial thing that we always worry about but really, it doesn't matter! :) Love you so much! I'm so glad Ellie came around, that would be a horrible feeling. I love your kids and Mark for taking care of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all you look FANTASTIC with your new hair! I'm in tears reading this today but I know you'll be cancer free soon! Love you and think of you and your family often!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a friend of Aubreys and saw your pictures. I cried as I red your blog! Good luck and fight that cancer! We will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful. all of it.
    you are such an inspiration to so many!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I showed my girls your blog. Brielle saw the after photos of you and your kids, and said, "Oh THERE'S my Miss Desirae." She adores you, no matter what. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this journey with all of us! You have an awesome family! Love you and thinking of you always! (I especially love the picture of you and Cheri! You are both AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL ladies!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your amazing... I think you are beautiful with or without hair. Its over rated anyway! I love this post. Your family is awesome and what a neat way to let all your kids have a part of it.

    ReplyDelete