Friday, April 1, 2011

A family goal

A few months back while reading the Ensign, I came across this article about the Living Christ document that the First Presidency and 12 Apostles published in April of 2000. The author of this article stated that her family had taken on the challenge to memorize the entire Living Christ document- a huge task, but it was a great testimony building experience for this family.
So this got me thinking... and wondering how I could possibly make this a goal for our family.
After all, Ellie is just 4. She couldn't possibly memorize the entire document- or could she?

So I set about breaking it up into small sections- with pictures to go with each section. So I have a set of 12 cards with 2 or 3 sections on each card. I put one card at a time in a sheet protector and hang it on our pantry door where everyone can see it.

Then each week, we work on a section. We are now almost through 4 cards and the amazing thing is, Ellie can recite almost all of the words with us. It has been such a cool thing for us to do as a family and we are hoping to be able to have it memorized by Christmas.

So I wanted to share the cards with you in case any of you would like to take on the challenge. It has definitely brought us closer together as we help each other memorize and talk about what each section means. I can't say that the spirit is in our home 100% of the time because then we would be translated- but I definitely feel that my kids are developing stronger testimonies of our Savior- and that will make all the difference in their lives.

Here's a link to a folder I have on Google Drive where I have saved each card in a JPEG file so you can download them and print them out for your own use.

The Living Christ Cards

2 comments:

  1. ha ha, I was just thinking of doing something like this. You are inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is great. Don't be surprised at how much Ellie can memorize. When Logan was 3 years old our stake gave the primary children a goal to memorize all 13 articles of faith and HE DID! I wasn't going to make him, but has I moved on with the rest of the kids he got mad at me so slowly but surely all 5 kids memorized all 13 articles of faith. It was aweseome and quite an accomplishment for all of us.

    ReplyDelete