I had an experience this week that has, once again, brought perspective into my life. Why is it that I must constantly be reminded of simple things? Part of the learning process I suppose. I had a conversation with a good friend who was having a difficult day. I left that conversation thinking, "I don't think I said one thing that was helpful to her." This really bothered me. I wanted to help her. She was in pain and I felt helpless. I also felt a little baffled. I have been striving very hard in the last little while to make sure that I am living my life in a way that will allow me to be close to my Savior. I have been better at making time in my day for scriptures. I have been trying to be better at doing those things that will allow my home to be a place where we can feel the spirit more often. I have been trying to cut out things that distract me from feeling the spirit. So why did I not have some beautiful words of comfort for this friend in distress? Why did I not know exactly what I could say to her to ease her burdens? But then today, a shot of perspective. I had another short conversation with her and she said that she is so thankful for friends like me who would take the time to listen, share words of comfort and just be a good friend. No beautiful lengthy speech was needed. No revelation of the perfect thing to say. Just a simple listening ear, a hug, and a few simple thoughts was all that was needed to be an answer to her prayer; a bearer of her burden. So I guess the point I am trying to make is this: You never know when you will be the answer to someone's prayer. You don't need to be eloquent or well versed in the scriptures. Just be there to listen, to hug, and to say, "You have a friend, let me help you."
This experience reminded me of one of the talks President Uchtdorf shared with us this last conference:
"When I think of the Savior, I often picture Him with hands outstretched, reaching out to comfort, heal, bless, and love. And He always talked with, never down to, people. He loved the humble and the meek and walked among them, ministering to them and offering hope and salvation.
This experience reminded me of one of the talks President Uchtdorf shared with us this last conference:
"When I think of the Savior, I often picture Him with hands outstretched, reaching out to comfort, heal, bless, and love. And He always talked with, never down to, people. He loved the humble and the meek and walked among them, ministering to them and offering hope and salvation.
That is what He did during His mortal life; it is what He would be doing if He were living among us today; and it is what we should be doing as His disciples and members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
On this beautiful Easter morning, our thoughts and hearts are drawn to Him—the Hope of Israel and the Light of the World.
As we emulate His perfect example, our hands can become His hands; our eyes, His eyes; our heart, His heart."
I'm thankful that I could be my Savior's hands in this one moment and I hope that I will be able to have more moments where I can be His hands and help to "bear one another's burdens."
A listening ear and a hug is the best comfort sometimes. Need to read that talk again. It was a good one.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree that a listening ear or a hug is the best comfort sometimes. After everything that happend with Sara, all I really wanted was for someone to listen to me and let me get it all out. Even knowing peoples good intentions, sometimes I just didnt want to hear their advice on how to move on, how to deal with it, etc... I was hurting....I am still hurting and someone listening to you is wonderful:)
ReplyDelete