On Friday, I got the dreaded call from our wonderful and awesome secretary at school.
"Desirae, Emma hurt her arm on the playground. Can you come and see what you think?"
I have been expecting this day to come ever since Emma discovered a love for the monkey bars...
"Desirae, Emma hurt her arm on the playground. Can you come and see what you think?"
I have been expecting this day to come ever since Emma discovered a love for the monkey bars...

She was very brave. She didn't start with the tears until she saw me walk into the school. Even then, there weren't very many tears. We drove over to the Instacare and after a quick check by the doctor, a few x-ray pics, and a temporary splint from the nurse, we were on our way home with a fractured ulna and radius of the right arm. Because of the swelling, we had to wait until today to get a cast on. She was very excited to be able to choose a red cast. She wanted green, but they didn't have it. :(

Her timing is impeccable. Our sweet little monkey who will be turning 8 next week is supposed to be baptized on May 1. So we were wondering how a cast was going to fit into these plans. Fortunately the doc said that we are good to go! So she will be sporting a beautiful red cast covered by an even more beautiful bread bag for her big day. She has been really quite calm through the whole process. She had a little moment of sadness when she remembered that she was going to play the opening song at her baptism, but she went right over to the piano and quickly discovered that she can play it with her left hand! (Those left hands are quite amazing if you ask me. But I may be partial to lefties. :)

So today we made a trip over to the park and took some pictures of her in her lovely baptism dress made by her mother that didn't turn out the way it was supposed to and caused this mother much grief and the expressing of a couple of naughty words. But Emma loves it and so that's all that matters. Abbie and Ellie will be wearing it too someday, whether it fits them or not. We are going to get some mileage out of this dress. :)
So here she is...Miss Emma Lemma Ding Dong Monkey Girl in her beautiful white dress and red cast. She is ready to go. One thing I have to mention about this whole arm-breaking experience. My kids really do love each other! When Abbie came home from school she said, "Mom, when I heard about Emma I went into the bathroom and started to cry!" (Aww!) Then she tells me, "Mom, I am going to have a snack and then I am going to help Emma. She needs me right now." Josh has taken the teasing level down 1, maybe 2 notches. Even little Ellie has done what she can to help. Emma dropped her spoon at breakfast and before anyone could do or say anything, Ellie had pushed her chair away from the table and was saying, "I get it Emma! I get your spoon for you!" (Aww!) Abbie cleaned Emma's room for her on Saturday (which she should get some sort of award for) and she has helped her with the difficult task of getting her shirt on and off. So a lot of good has come out of this sticky little situation...
a.) I discovered that my kids really love each other.
b.) I discovered that little Emma has so many people who love her and are concerned about her well being. We had many cards, flowers, and candy left on our doorstep.
c.) Most importantly though, Emma will be able to discover how awesome it is to be a lefty! (Sorry, I couldn't help myself. A shout out to all the lefties of the world!)
Poor little cutie! That will be a very memorable baptism. I always dread getting called by the school during the day. I am glad she is doing well, and hope her little arm heals quickly!
ReplyDeleteCute! The dress turned out great from what I can see! Wish we could be there!
ReplyDeleteYAY for LEFTIES!!! She will LOVE it so much she won't want to go back!!
ReplyDeleteThe dress looks beautiful!
How wonderful to KNOW that they all really do love each other! How nice ;-)
I remember saying that the girls will wear that white dress I made you as well if it fits or not. It did not happen, good luck on that one. I really like the red it really stands out against the beautiful white dress it turned out awesome. Can't wait to see you guys.
ReplyDeleteI've heard that the Glad Press 'n Seal plastic wrap is great to keep casts dry.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if you will buy one wedding dress and make all your girls fit into it.....just kidding! I actually knew of a mother who told her 1st daughter that the wedding dress had to fit all three sisters because she was only buying one.....ha ha to the first girl to get married who was the shortest and had to wear extremely high heels so that the dress wouldn't drag on the ground. Oh well, at least she was tall enough to kiss my brother on their wedding day!!!!! Yep it was my sister in law!
ReplyDelete