Sunday, January 4, 2009

2009, Here I Come!


So I begin by saying, "I can't believe how fast time has flown by!" Everyone says it because it's true! I feel like just yesterday I was graduating from high school and now here I am a crazy mom of 4 (okay 5 counting Mark, 6 counting the dog). I have learned a lot this past year and have made some great strides in being a better person. That has been my goal for the last few months and I am persevering through the next year. Here's what I've discovered this past year. . .
1. My kids are growing up, FAST! Josh is almost as tall as me and he's in the 4th grade! He will (hopefully) be on a mission in 10 years. If the next 10 years goes by as fast as the past 10 years has, it will be here before I know it. My friend, Melissa mentioned President Monson's talk "Finding Joy in the Journey" on her blog and I have to agree with her. That talk hit me. I can't get this time back so I have really tried to slow down and enjoy these munchkins! (I don't think I will ever enjoy or miss tantrums though!)

2. Priorities! My faith, my family come first and when I put these things first,
everything else falls in place.

3. Life is meant to be enjoyed, not just endured!- Pres. Hinckley. It's hard to
enjoy life when you're focused on the wrong things. I have spent too much time being concerned about the little things and forgetting the big picture. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter if my house is perfect, if I
finish the 5,638 different projects I have going on (it's a sickness, really), or if I checked off everything on my to-do list. Did I spend time laughing with my kids? Did I read the scriptures with them or spend time reading them myself? "Have I done any good in the world today?" These are the things that will help me to enjoy life, as I endure it. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Okay, enough ramblings. If you're still reading this, thanks for taking the time. Good luck to you in 2009. I hope you find joy and happiness in the coming year.

6 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. My kids are growing up way too fast and I want it to stop. I don't think your mom would know my uncle, he is not active in the church and from what I remember of where you lived he lives behind the mtn on the other side of the freeway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post! I am grateful to be reminded of the things that matter most in my life through reading your thoughts. I wonder at times if the "I have too many projects to finish" is a sickness of mine as well. I am happy to have you in my life....you are such an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved President Monson's talk, too. In fact, I posted it on my blog page also. With my kids all gone now, I can tell you, its true, THEY GROW UP TOO FAST! Wasn't it just the other day I was making cookies in the kitchen with Kenny and our neighbor buddy Rae Rae? But each season of life has its positives, and Kirk and I are finding new and different things to enjoy now (still miss the kids!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful message des! You are such an amazing person and I am proud to call you family!
    (Oh- I just received the christmas card that I mailed to you back- it appears that I mailed it to the ogdens on mahlstrom- I did not specify the house #- Whats wrong with the mail man- I am sure he knows where you live! Just joking- it was entirely my fault and I so I apologize and I threw it out- by the time I get it to you it would be old news-- It already is old news in fact!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. why do i have such smart sisters!!! and there all the best examples!! i love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am here to echo Joan THEY GROW UP TO FAST! As odd as it may sound It feels that my graduation was not that long ago of coarse there was our wedding 4 days after that but all in all I don't feel that I should be a grandmother to 8 alomost 9 grandchildren. But what a wonderful time that is and Joan has got a jump on me I am still trying to find that other season in my life I am rebelling alittle I think, just not ready for it but I am sure it will come.

    ReplyDelete