Sunday, October 19, 2008

Some thoughts. . .


I was cleaning my church bag out this morning and I came across a piece of paper that I had written a quote down on during our Stake Conference. We had Elder Glenn L Pace of the Seventy as our visiting authority. He gave a fantastic talk during the adult session on Saturday night, but I just happened to write down something he said during the Sunday meeting. I don't know if I wrote it word for word, but here is the main idea. . .
"Youth today are stronger than their parents. They were handpicked in the pre-existence because Heavenly Father knew that they could handle it and succeed in this world in spite of all its wickedness."
This struck me then and it had the same effect on me this morning as I read it again. Each of my kids are extremely strong-willed. This creates a lot of tension in our house sometimes, especially when my 4-year old, Abbie says things like, "Mommy, I am 4 years old and I DO know everything!". But, how thankful I am that they are strong-willed because they are going to need it! And I always have a prayer in my heart that they will succeed in spite of all the wickedness that surrounds them that is only going to get worse. So my goal for this time in our lives is that even though it drives me crazy, I hope that I can help these munchkins nurture their strong will so that when temptation is thrown at them from everywhere, they can stand up and choose the right and be like Helaman's stripling warriors.
Love you kiddos!

3 comments:

  1. That is a great quote. It is so hard for them today, they are surrounded by bad things every direction they turn. I know that was the biggest worry as a parent that you kids could with stand those firery darts and you all have done so well and I pray every day for my sweet little grandchildren that they will be able to follow the example of their parents and do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good quote! I feel the same way about strong will and stubbornness. We always say we just have to channel it in the right direction. What cuties you have!

    ReplyDelete